1755, 3-storey, 5-bay house extended and altered by David
Bryce, 1860 to form mainly 3-storey, L-plan Baronial mansion.
All harled with ashlar dressings and margins.
Principal entrance in west angle of broad SW 1860 wing,
round-headed and cabled moulded with long architraved window
above, with panels above and below. SW wing rises to
4-storey, square corbelled and crenellated tower with cannon
spouts, and angle corbelled stair turret rising above
wallhead with ogee roof and weather vane. 1860 angle
bartizans with fish-scale slated conical roofs corbelled out
in upper storey each side of 1755 west gable. SE elevation
has long 1st floor tripartite (lighting drawing room) with 2
pedimented dormers breaking wallhead above.
Mainly 12-pane glazing; string course; margined and coped end
and ridge stacks; slate roofs.
Interior; principal public rooms in 1860 Bryce wing, situated
on 1st floor and reached by imposing stair case with pendant
newel and barley-sugar twist balusters. Panelled window
shutters, doors and moulded doorpieces, together with marble
chimney pieces, survive from 1860. Decorative moulded ceiling
cornices. Extensive single and 2-storey service ranges to
rear forming U-plan service court close at NW by rubble wall
and square rubble gate piers.
Walled garden; coped rubble walled garden to NE of house
with angle turret with conical roof.
Gate Lodge and Gate piers; David Bryce, dated 1860. Simple
single storey gabled gate lodge. Rubble, tooled dressings.
Gabled porch in north facing re-entrant angle with plank door
with ornate cast-iron hinges; renewed 2-pane glazing;
crowsteps; coped stacks; slate roof. Modern single storey,
single bay addition to rear (south).
High coped quadrant walls, rubble with dressed copes;
terminal piers with shallow pyramidal caps. Renewed pair
simple gate piers; pair cast-iron carriage gates; decorative
cast-iron matching spearhead railings.