Possibly originated by John Adam circa 1725, with later
additions and alterations. Sited to W of Yester House.
GARDENER'S HOUSE: circa 1750. 2-storey, 3-bay house
adjoined to N wall of walled garden; red rubble sandstone
with ashlar dressing. Slightly advanced, gabled entrance
bay to centre of N elevation, with 1st floor window and
blocked oculus in gablehead; small-pane fanlight; windows
in flanking bays at each floor. Pentice roofed, stone
garden sheds adjoined to E and W. S (garden) elevation
incorporated in wall of walled garden at ground, and with
superimposed Gothick screen at 1st floor, rising above
eaves and with cornice; 3 blind pointed-arch windows,
hoodmoulded and with dormerheads behind corniced front;
square recesses flanking windows; currently with classical
Small-pane glazing patterns in sash and case windows. End
stacks. Grey slate piend roof.
WALLED GARDEN: rubble walls, ashlar coped and brick
lined. Serpentine coping added in earlier 19th century,
to principal wall. Main gateway with corniced ashlar
piers supporting gadrooned urn finials, flanking 2-leaf,
decorative wrought-iron, Arts and Crafts gates, circa
1900, with semi-circular overthrow. Lesser pedestrian
gateway at a distance, with similarly detailed gates.
Further gateway flanking gardener's house, (possibly
moved from Yester House), narrow and with lugged and
pedimented marble surround, scrolled detail by ground;
pulvinated frieze with acanthus ornament and carved
detail in pediment; 2-leaf simple, but decorative
wrought-iron gates. Lean-to hot-houses abutting N wall.
Hot-houses: fine glasshouses to N of wall garden,
possibly including peach house, Andrew Wood, 1791, and
vineries, Andrew Sheaver, circa 1850 (Garden Inventory,
Stalk: polychrome, square-section brick stalk by hot-houses
to N of walled garden.