Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

WHITEHALL HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE (FORMER GAS HOUSE), WALLED GARDEN AND GATEPIERSLB180

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
06/09/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
06/09/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Chirnside
NGR
NT 87391 55064
Coordinates
387391, 655064

Description

18th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey with attic, 10-bay, originally rectangular-plan range with later wing at rear forming near L-plan; lean-to verandah to side; various additions at rear. Harl-pointed cream sandstone rubble to front and sides; tooled sandstone dressings; part rubble, part harled at rear. Lightly tooled ashlar quoins in part to E; rubble quoins to W; tooled long and short surrounds to slightly raised margins (chamfered in part); flush cills. Timber-latticed verandah. 2-storey, rectangular-plan former gas house at rear. Rectangular-plan, part-walled garden to SW.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to 2-leaf timber panelled door at ground off-set to right of centre; 3-pane fanlight; single window aligned at 1st floor; piended dormer above. Single windows at both floors in 3 remaining bays to right; piended dormer centred above. Segmental-arched niche with rubble voussoirs at ground in bay to left of entrance. Single, keystoned windows at ground in 2 bays to left; Venetian window aligned above. Single windows at both floors in 3 subsequent bays to left (squat window at ground to outer right); piended dormer centred above. Keystoned, segmental-arched window at ground in bay to outer left; 2 single windows flanking at 1st floor; piended dormer above. Verandah adjoined to outer right.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay arcaded verandah at ground to left of centre; blind at 1st floor. Part-glazed timber panelled door in bay to right of centre; single window at ground to outer right; pedimented windows breaking eaves in both bays at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated. Various projections and single storey additions.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block to right with single window at ground off-set to left of centre. Single windows at both floors in 2-storey addition slightly recessed to outer left.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Slightly bell-cast, grey slate piended roof to main block; M-gabled, pitched slate roof to rear. Corniced brick-built ridge and wallhead stacks; sandstone ashlar wallhead stack to E; octagonal cans throughout. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: music room with boarded timber floor; decorative plasterwork depicting musical instruments and naturalistic scenes; mutuled cornice; timber panelled door with shouldered surround; skirting board and decorative dado rail; timber panelled shutters (broken in part); fireplace with shouldered surround. Timber panelled drawing room; plain cornice; timber panelled doors; fireplace with corniced timber surround. Later stair with alternate straight and curvilinear iron uprights, timber handrail. Former servants' quarters in attic with boarded floors, walls and ceilings; original gas fittings in place. Large safe.

WALLED GARDEN: remains of rectangular-plan garden to SE (approximately 4,200m?). Lean-to greenhouses adjoining inner elevation N wall (glazing missing); brick-built potting sheds adjoining outer elevation (part roofless). Overgrown 1998.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: part harl-pointed sandstone rubble, rectangular-plan former gas house at rear. Overgrown 1998. Grey slate piended roof; brick-built ridge stack. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

GATEPIERS: square-plan, stop-chamfered gatepiers flanking entrance to NE with corniced, ball-finialled caps; gates missing. Low coped flanking walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Noted in the OS Name Book as "...an older mansion house 2 stories high, having garden, orchard and outhouses attached...occupied by Mr Peter Johnstone, gamekeeper." Empty, overgrown and in state of disrepair 1998. Once home to and seat of the Mitchell-Innes family (see BURKE). This long, originally rectangular-plan range is said to have formed part of a larger mansion, although the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows it virtually as it is today. See separate list entries for the nearby 'Whitehall Dovecot' and 'Whitehall Stables' (both formerly associated with the house).

References

Bibliography

Armstrong's map, 1771 (house on site). Blackadder's map, 1797 (house on site). Thomson's map, 1821 (house on site). Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (evident). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 60, Book 7, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1862 (evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1898 (later additions evident). C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p38. BURKE'S LANDED GENTRY pp486-488. NMRS photographic records.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WHITEHALL HOUSE INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE (FORMER GAS HOUSE), WALLED GARDEN AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2018 04:56