Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
ND 29032 73889
329032, 973889


Probably 1566-72, with various 17th, 18th, 19th and mid

20th century additions and alterations. 3-storey and attic.

3-bay centre block with 16th century projecting 5-storey

square tower at SE, and 2-storey, wide single bay crenellated

dining room wing at west gable with angle bartizans.

(c. 1954). SE tower with angle bartizans, crenellated

with modern glazing. 2 wings project at rear forming narrow

wallhead and regular later single bay fenestration in south

elevation. 1819 (William Burn, architect) Baronial porch,

with round-arched detailing, and entrance hall fill SW

with round-headed entrance with flanking round-headed

windows and double leaf doors, in projecting canted porch;

5-light arcaded window above entrance. 2-storey wing

projects at rear, forming with main castle elevation, 2

sides of high walled rear court, with round-headed entrance

under crenellated wallhead.

Piended dormers rise through wallhead; sash and case

window with multi-pane glazing; gun loops in south elevation

of centre block and in tower; coped end and ridge stacks;

slate roofs.

Statement of Special Interest

Property of H.M. The Queen Mother. Built by George, 4th

Earl of Caithness, and passed to his 2nd son, William, who

founded the line of Sinclair of Mey Name subsequently

changed to Barrogill Castle, but reverted to Castle of

Mey when purchased by H.M. The Queen Mother, c. 1953.

William Burn addition of 1819 largely removed during 195

alterations. Crest of H.M. The Queen Mother (carved by

Hew Lorimer, circa 1954) over 1st

floor dining room window at west.




(1911) pp. 9-11. p1. IV, fig. 3, (plan). IMPERIAL GAZETTEER

OF SCOTLAND, i, 240. Donald Omand, (ed.) THE CAITHNESS BOOK

(1972) P. 160, p1. 27.


ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978) p. 162. National Monuments

Record of Scotland.

H Fenwick, Castle of Mey, SCOTTISH TATLER July/Aug. 1979.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CASTLE OF MEY AND GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 08:55