Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

TEALING HOUSELB17459

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/12/1989
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Tealing
NGR
NO 41311 37985
Coordinates
341311, 737985

Description

Irregular-plan, classically detailed mansion house of complex building history, probably ar follows: southern part of main double-pileed central block circa 1600; further storey, advanced pedimented central bay and major extension to N early 18th century; E service and nursery wing, W wing and S entrance porch (including re-harling) by William Burn, 1827-29, constructed under supervsion of James Black of Dundee. central block 2-storey and basement; E service wing single storey and basement; nursery wing single storey, basement and attic. Harled rubble, slate roof. Ashlar margined windows, some moulded cills at N elevation, plate glass sash and case (12-pane pattern at service wing); margined angles at E and W wings; coped skews, corniced stacks.

MAIN BLOCK: 4-bay S elevation. 2 centre bays advanced and pedimented wiht oculus and tall gablehead stack, windows keystoned; later porch advanced at outer left with moulded doorcase, cornice and balustrade (mostly broken, 1990). Steep gable M-roof with gablehead stacks, large kitchen stack at E; blocked small square attic windows in gables.

W WING: linked to main block by recessed single bay with windows and piended dormerhead. Tall bipartite window at ground floor to S elevation, single window blinded at 1st, pediment with blind oculus. W elevation with corniced canted ashlar bay at basement and ground floor centre, 3 single windows at 1st.

N ELEVATION: W wing and linking block similar to S elevation but with single and bipartite window at basement, band course, tripartite and piended dormerhead at right (as altered by Burn), single windows elsewhere, dentil wallehead course; rear elevations of servoce and nursery blocks at far left forming courtyard including 2 subterranean barrel-vaulted cellars.

E ELEVATION: shallow 2-bay, single storey, basement and attic block abutting main house at centre; 2-bay, gabled nursery wing attached and in similar style advanced at right; further L-plan service block attached and advanced at outer right.

INTERIOR: monumental ashlar entrance stair and polygonally-arched moulded chimneypiece with patterned tiles. 18th century-style timber panelling at central ground and 1st floor rooms of original house. Simple plaster wotk in drawing and dining room; white marble chimneypiece in drawing room and black in dining room. Decorative cast-iron balusters to upper floors; various chimneypieces, dilapidated range; ashlar lined strong room with metal door at basement; collar beam roofs with some numbered beams.

Statement of Special Interest

Tealing House was owned successively by the Maxwells of Tealing from the 15th century, the Scrymsoures (later spelling Scrymgeour) from 1704, and the Fothringham Scrymgeours from 1826; leased to Edmund C Cox in 1923, now (1990) in a deteriorating condition. Chimneypieces in drawing and dining rooms supplied by David Ness of Leith in 1829. The original house was probably a fortified house in the manner of the later Powrie Castle, Murroes House and Gagie House (listed in Murroes Parish), and contemporary with the dated (1595) dovecote. A house at 'Telen' is shown on Edward's map (1678), and Ochterlony says 'the house of Tealing, Maxwell, is a good house' (circa 1682). There is an inventory including 'household furniture in manorhouse of Tealing' dated 1722 (SRO GD 121/3/109). The cnetral wall of the main house shows blocked windows where plaster has been stripped, indicating this was formerly the north external wall of the original house; there is also a blocked up arrow slit opening visible at the S elevation where harling has been removed. The 1825 plan of Tealing shows the main entrance at the north elevation; this must have been altered to the south when William Burn aggrandized the house in 1827-29. A 1st-2nd century AD souterrian (Scheduled Ancient Monument in state care) situated immediately to the west of Tealing Burn and Home Farm was discovered in 1871.

References

Bibliography

Murthly Castle Muniments, SRO GD 121/3/211-216, 287, also extracts therefrom in NMRS.

Plan of the southern part of Tealing, 1825, SRO, RHP 3245.

OSA (1792), vol IV, pp92-104.

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V, pp210-231.

Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1879), vol II, pp371-6.

John Ochterlony, ACCOUNT OF THE SHIRE OF FORFAR (circa 1682), reprinted in Warden , op cit.

Map of Angus in Robert Edward, A DESCRIPTION OF THE COUNTY OF ANGUS (1678), reprinted in Warden, op cit.

Infornation ex Mr Henry Fothringham, Grantully Castle, Perth and Kinross.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TEALING HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 10:58