Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 37596 38031
337596, 738031


Circa 1800. 2-storey farmhouse, made T-plan by addition of earlier 19th century wing at N and early 20th century wing at S. Harled rubble, ashlar margins, slate roof. 2-, 4-and 12-pane sash and case windows, temporarily blocked at ground floor, margined angles at S gable, ashlar coped sews with skewputts, coped harled stacks.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay; 2 bays of orignal house at left with single storey entrance porch addition at right, window at left, 2 windows at 1st floor, gablehead stack at left return. Projecting drawing room wing at right, with full height canted windows; wrought-iron finial at gable.

W ELEVATION: gable end of original house projecting at right, window at ground floor left, dilapidated lean-to glasshouse at right, stair window at left return partially blocked by N addition. 3-bay service/bedroom wing at left; 2 doors at ground floor, 3 windows at 1st floor, 1 bordered with stained glass, single storey lean-to at left return elevation.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gable of original house off-centre to left with 2 windows at gorund floor, 1 at 1st; gablehead stack; wing at left blind, wallhead stack; wing at right with 3 windows at ground floor, 2 at 1st, further wallhead stack, ridge stack at right, gablehead stack at far right.

INTERIOR: entrance porch with coloured encaustic tiled floor, drawing room with panelled reveals to canted window, 2 open presses with moulded architraves and curved ornaments to corners, decorative cornice (chimneypiece removed); 2 other ground floor rooms with plain moulded cornices (no chimneypieces). Kitchen with flagstone floor, ceiling hooks, hooded stone chimneypiece, larder with stone slabs, shelves and meat safe. Winding well stair with plain wrought-iron balusters, round-headed door with stained and etched glass to N wing. 3 cast-iron horseshoe grates at 1st floor; some original shutters; decorative bathroom fittings.

WALLED GARDEN< RETAINING WALL AND GATEPIERS: formal garded with box hedging at E, with rubble garden walls at N, S, E and W. Rubble boundary walls at N and W with rough-hewn gatepiers at W of house.

Statement of Special Interest

The interior is largely unaltered, but the principal chimneypieces have been removed. The formal garden is well kept.



OS map 1860, 1903.

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V, pp221-2.

Gilbert R Chalmers, 19th Century Grain Process in Angus', unpublished dissertation, RIBA, 1989.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH BALLUDERON FARM, FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, RETAINING WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/02/2020 23:04