1806, porches and vestry added, windows (except large windows at S) replaced and reduced in size, and internal alterations by Alexander Johnston, 1895. Plain rectangular-plan aisleless hall-church. Rubble built, ashlar dressings, harled at E gable, grey slate roof. Square-headed margined windows, timber top-hopper frames with small rectangular leaded panes. Coped skews with skew blocks.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Single storey vestry projecting at centre with bipartite window and half-piended roof, carved panel depicting paired angels above at gallery level, steps to basement heating chamber at left with cast-iron railings, lean-to entrance porch at right re-entrant angle; windows at ground and gallery level at main wall plane of outer bays; central wallhead stack.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay. Large polished granite memorial slab at centre to Scrymsoure Fothringham family above earlier sculpted sandstone memorial, flanked by 2 elongated windows with lying panes, ashlar enclosure with cast-iron railings, windows at ground and gallery level at outer bays.
E GABLE: entrance porch at centre with half-piended roof, window, door at left return; window at gallery level, boarded oculus above.
W GABLE: similar to E gable but with pyramidal capped birdcage bellcote at apex with bell; window lintel inscribed with now indecipherable date '1806'.
INTERIOR: original(?) pulpit on S wall. panelled semi-octagonal gallery wiht timber Doric columns; timber floor and dado added, pews and pulpit stairs replaced in 1895 by Alexander Johnston, (floor partially taken up and pews laid aside in 1980s). Pale yellow/gree stained glass. Notable collection of sculpted and inscribed stones including tombstone of Ingram of Kethenys, priest at Tealing and archdeacon of Dunkeld, died 1380 (N wall, removed from under floor in 1895); part of circa early 16th century sacrament house depicting Christ and 2 angels (W wall removed from W gable in 1895); memorial to John Ramsay (N wall), priest at Tealing and archdeacon of Dunkeldm died 1618, consisting of kneeling figure with open book on lectern within paired fluted pilasters and heraldic pediment; further stone (tombstone?) commemorating John Ramsay and his wife Elizabeth Kinloch (E porch, removed from floor of church 1895); late Georgian marble memorials on S wall to William Forsyth, died 1814 and Patrick Scrymsoure, died 1815.
CHURCHYARD: rubble boundary wall at N, S, E and W with plain gatepiers at N. Variety of high quality sculpted 17th, 18th and 19th century tombstones.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesistical building not in use and presently deteriorating. Conveyed by Church of Scotland General Trustees to the Tealing Kirk Heritage Centre in 1986. The first church at Tealing was probably established by St Boniface in the late 7th century although the exact site is not known. The Rev John Glas, founder of the Glasite Sect (see Glasite Chapel, 4 King Street, Dundee) was minister of Tealing 1719-28 and promulgated his secterian teaching here. The present building, although severely plain is of great interest on account of the various sculpted stones incorporated within the fabric, the prime factor for its Category A listing. The tombstone of Ingram of Kethenys is particularl rare, it being (according to Jervise) on of the oldest inscriptions in the Scottish vernacular. The memorial to John Ramsay is also a notable Renaissance style monument. The memorial slab to the Scrymsoure Fothringhams was made by Alexander Macdonald, Field and Co, for the architects Charles Edward and Thomas Saunders Robertson, 1867. There are various hinges and hooks affixed to the external walls adjacent to the windows suggesting that there were once shutters. Central heating was first installed by Alexander Johnston in 1895.
OSA (1792), vol IV.
NSA (1845), vol XI.
Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1879), vol II.
Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V.
Rev S Macauley, 'Sacrament House, Tealing' in TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (1909-12), vol III, p95.
Murthly Castle Muniments, SRO GD121/291.
Heritors' Minutes, SRO HR 553.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKTON OF TEALING, FORMER TEALING PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING CHURCHYARD
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 26/03/2019 14:31