Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
St Andrews-Lhanbryd
NJ 25793 62235
325793, 862235


William Robertson, 1825-6. 2-storey S facing house over

raised basement, 3 bays. Rubble frontage; modern harling

at raised basement level and to gables and rear; tooled and

polished ashlar dressings.

Centre door set in shallow round-headed recess; fanlight

with decorative glazing; slightly later pedimented porch

fronts doorway approached by flight of steps oversailing

raised basement. Outer ground floor windows with panelled

aprons also set in shallow round-headed recesses. 2 ground

floor windows in W gable; regular rear fenestration, now

partially masked by later single storey over raised

basement wing. Mainly 12-pane glazing. 2 modern rear dormers;

coped end wallhead stack; piended platform slate roof.

INTERIOR: curved staircase with slender wooden balusters.

Panelled doors and window shutters; moulded doorpieces

with simple key pattern decoration. Grey marble chimneypiece

in drawing-room with later 19th century ornate cast-iron

grate. Cast-iron grates of circa 1825 survive eleswhere

in house.

STEADING: 1815. U-plan range of single storey and single storey

and loft, built around rectangular court closed at S with coped

rubble wall with later ball-finialled gatepiers and

re-used wrought-iron pedestrian gate. Rubble, tooled rubble

dressings. Centre block of steading with segmental-headed

arch leading to rear lane. Slate roofs; stone ridges.

WALLED GARDEN: 1815. Substantial square rubbled walled

garden to W of steading and house.

Statement of Special Interest

Manse, steading and garden built in 1815. Manse destroyed

by fire and re-built, 1825. The 'offices' (1815) originally

planned to be sited at rear of house, but the present

position at NW specifically requested by Minister.



Presbytery Records. Moray District Records Office XPE1

A2/12/138 (1815) and A2/12/262, 264 (1825).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILCLUAN (FORMER C OF S MANSE), STEADING AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 23:30