Charles Howitt of Drumlanrig estate, architect. Built 1864-5.
Single storey T-plan school with lower east wing, built on
slope with basement at west. Tudor. Channelled, bull-faced
pink ashlar with polished dressings, hood-moulds and raised
quoins. Tudor-arched bipartites to 4-bay long south wall and
to west gable, latter flanking projecting chimney breast and
set above depressed-arched basement openings: gabled north
and south facing porches on smaller gabled east wing (door of
former blocked), tripartite in gable of north wing, modern
addition in re-entrant angle. Splayed base course;
saw-toothed skews with gableted skew-putts; off-set corniced
stacks; slate roofs with cast-iron cresting.