Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

THORNHILL VILLAGE THE CROSSLB17337

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Morton
NGR
NX 87879 95478
Coordinates
287879, 595478

Description

Possibly by James Smith. Erected 1714. Red ashlar market

cross, comprising single fluted Ionic column having swagged

capital supporting (lead) Pegasus; all raised on panelled

octagonal drum base and stepped plinth.

Statement of Special Interest

Erected when the new line of road through Thornhill was

built; originally placed south of present site between the

Inn (now 99-I02 South Drumlanrig St.) and the (demolished)

courthouse; shown there on RHP 37535 (1742): moved to present

site presumably circa 1772 when plans were made for

developing the village (RHP 38136/5), and certainly there

by circa 1790 when OSA account was written.

NRA(S) 1275, bundle 1545 includes account to William Lukeup

and Robert Porteous "for securing the cross of Thornhill

when in danger of falling" 13.6.1744.

References

Bibliography

J.K. Hewison, DALGARNOC, 1935 p.61ff.

(Quoting Rae Ms.)

C.T. Ramage, DRUMLANRIG & THE DOUGLASES, 1876 p.344.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THORNHILL VILLAGE THE CROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:00