1714 datestone over one window (former door). 2-storey row
comprising asymmetrical 5-bay range with steeply pitched
roof, 2-bay early 19th century addition to south (no 99). All
built of red sandstone, rubble, with ashlar dressings.
Altered openings; shop inserted at north (remainder of row
set behind iron-railed garden) and canted window at south; 3
1st floor bipartites; late 19th century rear wings with
forestairs. Sash windows. mostly 4 or 12-pane. Moulded eaves
cornice. 2-bay addition is higher at wallhead, but has
shallow-pitched roof. End and axial stacks; all roofed with
graded slates. Garden railings set on low coping, square
gatepiers to either main door; cobbled pavement.
Statement of Special Interest
Built as the Queensberry Arms Inn, one of the first buildings
to be erected in the new town; 2-bay addition to south shown
on RHP 37857 in SRO, which dates from 1818.
Category C(S) only because of altered condition.