Charles Howitt of Drumlanrig estate, architect. Built 1867. Cruciform-plan Gothic church, square tower with broach spire
linked to north east angle, entrance and ground. All built of
bull-faced pink ashlar with polished dressings, hood-moulds
and beak-head mouldings at eaves; stepped angle buttresses.
Tower: (stages undivided) north-facing door with moulded
reveals and arch; stair window above; louvered 3-light belfry
opening at upper level of each elevation, and clock to
elevations facing village; lucarnes at base of spire;
weathervane finial. Tall 3-light window with splayed cill
course, cross finial and shaped skews to each gable, and
central doorway, except at north. Shallow transepts; nave has
3 buttressed bays. Shallow vestry and organ outshots either
side of chancel. Slate roof.
Interior: simple wainscot panelling in chancel by P MacGregor
Chalmers, fine oak communion table with art nouveau ornament; open-timbered roof.
Churchyard: irregular-plan; earlier enclosure to east of
church (rubble-built ashlar-coped walls) extended to west
(? circa 1867) and enclosed by plain iron railings on low
wall, gate at north. Mostly 17th-19th century stone monuments
to east of church including Renaissance mural monument near