Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RUTHWELL PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARDLB17247

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
06/06/2017
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Ruthwell
NGR
NY 10066 68207
Coordinates
310066, 568207

Description

- Sanderson of Dalkeith, architect, 1803, remodelling

existing parish church; earlier fabric incorporated, eg on

Murray Aisle and at west end of south wall (blocked

openings): T-plan: apse added centrally on long north wall by

Campbell Douglas and Sellars 1887 to house Ruthwell cross:

re-modelled 1906 by Barbour and Bowie of Dumfries; door and

window openings mostly altered, re-roofed, with raised skews,

skewputts and finials. Whitewashed rubble, red ashlar

dressings. Openings round-headed, and mostly hoodmoulded;

north and south-facing windows with pointed lights; door on

east and west gables below quatrefoil light. Urn-finialed

birdcage belfry over Murray aisle, corresponding

ball-finialed cap to other gables: 2 pilastered axial

ventilators: slate roofs, curved with diamond roof lights

over apse.

Interior: Ruthwell cross (PIC - see Notes ) within apse enclosed by simple iron

balustrade, cross base below floor level; 1687 armorial panel

above arched recess in Murray aisle; some leaded glass

windows; simple roof vaulting; some bronze plaques 2

commemorating Henry Duncan, former parish minister and

founder of Savings bank.

Churchyard contains some fine monuments and is enclosed by

high ashlar-coped rubble walls (extended to north 20th

century), ball-finialed square gatepiers to south, stone

stile steps alongside; monuments include elaborate Conder

monument 1709; Duncan family mural monument 1832; tall

Dickson monument early 19th century; table tombs, upright and

recumbant slabs.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. NRA(S) 776, p. 662, includes an estimate for the church, and "plan by Mr Hamilton, 1800". Ruthwell cross is in the care of the Secretary of State.

References

Bibliography

Groome, GAZETTEER vol V (2nd ed) p. 292.

S.R.O.

CH/2/13/4 p.27ff.

HR625/1

W Duncan THE STORY OF RUTHWELL AND MOUNT KEDAR, 1974.

MEMORIALS OF RUTHWELL PARISH. (Copy in Ewart Library

Dumfries)

1902 and 1906 plans by Barbour and Bowie held by Sutherland

Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RUTHWELL PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 10:38