15th century large, rectangular-plan tower house at west end
of 1900-2 mansion house, latter by James Barbour and J.M.
Bowie of Dumfries, architects. TOWER HOUSE: 5 storeys;
rubble-built, ashlar dressings; round-headed door with yett
at east end of north wall; small mostly square-headed
openings, larger openings have iron grilles; splayed base
course; corbelled and crenellated parapet encloses roof and
links crow-stepped cap house over 3 angles.
Interior: many passages, chambers, presses etc. within wall
thicknesses; carved stone chimney-piece on 1st floor.
Outbuildings to West linked by crenellated wall. 20TH CENTURY
HOUSE: mostly 3 storey echoes tower house features;
asymmetrical extensive use of corbelling and crow-stepped
gables. Rubble-built, contrasting pink ashlar dressings.
Round-headed doorway on north east corner, north-facing
mullioned and transomed windows alongside loggia to south on
Coped stacks; slate roofs.