Possibly of 2 builds, late 16th and circa 1620 with
subsequent additions; restoration probably W L Carruthers,
1896. Tall L-plan castle with further later gabled lower
2-storey wing at N gable. All red rubble with tooled and
polished ashlar dressings. Doorway in re-entrant angle with
filletted roll to moulded door jambs, stepped hoodmould
with 1720 coat of arms and small vent above. Entrance well
defended by various flanking gun loops and slits.
Regular 3-bay W garden front to castle with some 1896
fenestration. 3 late 19th century pedimented dormers dated
1620, 1703 and 1896. Irregular fenestration to W front of
wing, including 4-light dining room window. Off centre rear
door to wing with 1703 dated lintel.
Catslide dormers; multi-pane glazing; angle bartizans; coped
end and wallhead stacks; crowsteps slate roofs. Further
single storey and attic service N block linked to north wing
by coped rubble wall screening service court.
Interior: barrel vaulted raised basement; 17th century yett to
main doorway, also closed by drawbar housed in original hole.
Stone wheel stair lit by diminutive lights. 1st floor hall
takes up all of W facing castle block with ashlar chimney
piece with moulded surround, coat of arms and motto "Je
Trouve Bien", tiled surround to grate.
Bedrooms divided out of large 2nd floor area with corridor
along E wall. Garden wall; gardens surrounded by coped red
Statement of Special Interest
Said to have been built by Simon, Lord Lovat in 1621, though
this may refer to substantial addition to an earlier tower
house, forming present unusual L-plan building. Passed to
McIntosh's whose coat of arms dated 1720 is set above main
entrance. Restored 1896; single 1st floor plan survives from
that date (NMR).