Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

AUCHENCAIRN HOUSELB17110

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/05/1981
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Rerrick
NGR
NX 81761 50089
Coordinates
281761, 550089

Description

Originally built as 18th century 2-storey, 3-bay house now

incorporated in E wing of larger later house, extended to 5

bays and refaced circa 1860. Much larger W wing built later

19th century.

E wing: 2-storey, 5-bay with projecting gabled outer bays,

all faced in polished red sandstone circa 1860. Ground floor

windows bi-or tripartite sash and case with 2-pane plate

glass. 1st floor windows recessed within 2 thin roll-moulded architraves, sash and case with 12-pane glazing pattern;

centre bays with band course over ground, corbelled parapet

at eaves, end-bay gables flanked by square-plan pinnacles

with pyramidal caps.

W wing: circa 1875, asymmetrical 2-storey and attic house,

polished red ashlar. 3-storey square tower at SE angle,

advanced and stepped 2-storey projecting squared bay with

round-arched doorway to ground with flanking Gothic columns.

Shouldered doorway double-leaf panelled doors, incised

semi-circular blind fanlight above.

S elevation: 4-bay with SE tower to right, gabled bay to left

with 3-light square projecting window to ground. 2 centre

bays with canted projecting windows to ground, single light

windows above. To right 2 arched lights at ground flank

engaged "column" supporting canted oriel to 1st, tripartite

window to 2nd. All projecting windows with bracketted

parapets. All windows sash and case with 2 or 4-pane plate

glass glazing.

E elevation: with tower to left with projecting hexagonal

stair turret, wide gabled bay to right with 3 round-arched

windows to ground and 1st, single round-arched attic light. Corbel-brackets at eaves, steeply pitched slate roofs. Tall

octagonal stacks with decorative ceramic cans in the form of

miniature fleche.

Statement of Special Interest

House originally called Nutwood, built late 18th-century for

John Culton. In 1860 the house was bought by Ivie Mackie and

greatly extended to its present form.

References

Bibliography

A Gray, H M Paton, "AUCHENCAIRN AND DISTRICT". 1976.

Groome.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHENCAIRN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:46