Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ORCHARDTON HOUSELB17079

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
23/04/1990
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Rerrick
NGR
NX 81082 53167
Coordinates
281082, 553167

Description

Later 18th century house largely rebuilt and incorporated

into large 1881 Baronial mansion. Asymmetrical elevations

with lower 2-storey central block and taller advanced angle

bays, crowstepped gables, corbelled turrets, tall coped

stacks. An important internal feature is an elaborately

carved piscina/aumbry reset in hall. 2-storeys, attic and

basements. Bull-faced granite walling, polished margins and

quoins, thinly roll-moulded openings; some pinned rubble

walling to centre block indicates 18th-century work.

S elevation: 5-bay, taller advanced gabled end bays, that to

right with moulded sandstone neo-Jacobean pilastered

doorpiece, panel above inscribed WD 1851, RD 1921.

Double-leaf timber boarded doors with elaborately decorative

hinges. Over door at 1st, panel dated 1881, above this

projecting corbel-string course, corbelled canted oriel set

in gable. To extreme left bay, corbelled angle turrets flank

gable. Central 3 bays lower 2-storey with projecting canted

window to ground left. Deep plain parapet with false cannon

gargoyles. Windows single light or bipartite (tripartite to

ground left). Sash and case with 2-pane or plate glass

glazing.

Other elevations asymmetrical and similarly detailed with

full-height or corbelled round turrets with conical slate

roofs and lead spike finials. Band course over ground,

partial corbel course over 1st. All gables crowstepped with

stone finial, slate roofs, tall coped wallhead and axial

stacks.

Interior: mostly circa 1880 with some later details. Good

panelled stair hall with carved timber balusters, good carved

timber neo-Jacobean chimneypieces. Entrance hall with reset

medieval piscina/aumbry and mock baronial stone chimneypiece.

Statement of Special Interest

B group with Orchardton Stables. Original house built circa

1761 for Robert Maxwell. The initials WDRD over door are

those of William Douglas Robinson-Douglas, b1851, d1921. He

succeeded to Orchardton 1878 and the panel 1881 records the

date of his additions to the house. The architect is unknown

but interior and exterior details suggest the Wardrop and

Reid partnership (qv Kinnerdy House, Angus).

References

Bibliography

Groome vol V p130. A Gray and H M Paton: AUCHENCAIRN AND

DISTRICT 1976.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ORCHARDTON HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 00:45