Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NN 01046 64181
201046, 764181


Thomas Telford, 1829, with subsequent alterations. Rectangular with standard Parliamentary Church NE front elevation; all squared, coursed grey granite with contrasting tooled sandstone dressings and harled gables. Shallow pointed-headed entrance in outer bays of NE front,

now blocked. 2 shallow pointed headed windows in centre of main front, similar single windows in NW and SE gables. Standard 1829 metal Y-tracery transom and mullion window frames with lattice pane glazing, except in SE gable. Late 19th century square single storey porch with crenellated wallhead masking later entrance in NW gable. Small single storey, 2-bay vestry projects at rear with entrance door and shallow pointed headed window with moulded wooden mullion and transomed Y-tracery window with multi-pane and Y-tracery glazing.

Parliamentary Church type bellcote at SE gable; cross finial at NW; flat skews; Interior: re-cast in late 19th century to SE. 2 panelled doors in centre of SW wall, in shallow pointed headed openings and both set in similar shaped recess. (1 door to vestry, 1 blind). Simple pine pews some fitted with re-used brass candelabra with barley-sugar twist stems.

Brass eagle lectern, also re-used. Communion table, pulpit and Elders' seats all 1930 designed by Pilkington Jackson.

Pulpit; octagonal panelled pulpit with simple carved detailing to legs carried up as half round decoration at angles. Inscription to AJH MacLean of Ardgour and his widow carved on door. Simple Holy Table with similar angle detailing as pulpit. Elders' bench with shallow canopy and 3 seats below window. Canopy carved wih vine leaf pattern and backboard with 4 roundels with relief carving of insignia of 4 Evangelists.

Simple boarded ceiling. Stained glass in SE window.

Burial Ground: simple rubble walled burial ground with roughly shaped cope. Pair later 19th century square tooled ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps flanked by short length of ornate cast-iron spear-head railing on low coped retaining wall; matching pair cast-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Unusual variation of standard Teleford T-plan church. Linked to Quoad Sacra (1845). Parish of N. Ballachulish and sharing the services of the minister there, who had

his manse by the (now demolished) Parliamentary Church at Onich, rowing over to Ardgour of Corran on alternate Sundays.

Present manse of Ardgour dates from 1899 and the Parish now linked with Strontian and Kingairloch. Candelabra and brass eagle lectern from former Episcopal Chapel at Conaglen House on Loch Linnhe. Pulpit and communion table given in memory of A.J. H. MacLean of Ardgour by his daughters and Elders' seat, also in his memory, gifted by his sisters. (Information by courtesy Miss MacLean of Ardgour) - Church built on fine site by shores of Loch Linnhe, looking up the Great Glen. Only Parliamentary Church with vestry, for the use of Minister travelling by boat from Onich.



Thomas Telford, AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ATLAS, (1838) pl. 58-9.

Groome's IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, i (circa 1858),

pp. 69, 118. ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, i (1882), pp.


REFORMATION CHURCH 1560-1843 (1957), p246.

A M MacLean, PARLIAMENTARY CHURCHES IN THE HIGHLANDS (c. 1971 unpublished thesis) p.72-3.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDGOUR PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 14:33