There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority
- Dumfries And Galloway
- NT 7458 9907
- 307458, 609907
Architect probably Walter Newall, 1830/40. Symmetrically-planned small mansion with Greek revival principal range of farm steading. 2 storeys; piend-roofed and features. Rectangular-plan, and composed around slightly taller and pedimented central square hall which rises above roof platform; inner bay on each elevation is pedimented, and
slightly advanced (except at N where plain N wall of 18th century house is incorporated). 2 storeys over raised basement. Built of squared whin rubble laid in graded courses; painted ashlar dressings. Architraved windows throughout except at basement and on asymmetrical N elevation. E and W elevations each 5 bays; main entrance (central on former elevation) pedimented massive doorpiece (placed between ground and basement) approached by steps with battered square piers, deeply recessed door with tall fanlight, corniced windows at ground. S elevation 3 bays, tripartites at ground with consoled hoods. Wide angle margins; eaves course; cornice; end stacks with octagonal flues. Central tower is pedimented at N and at S with fireclay flues over acroteria; round-headed window to each elevation. Piended slate roofs with leaded platform. Arcaded low garden balustrade to S.
Interior: vestibule with steps leads to central square hall at foot of tower with doors leading off; 1st floor rooms lead off passageway (lit by and encircling tower). 18th century plain staircase and rooms with original cornices survive at N; good 18th century chimney piece re-used in central S-facing ground floor room; 19th century chimney pieces
mostly marble; brass fireplace in hall. 1st floor chimney pieces arranged with pilasters supporting entablature.
Good 19th century cornice plasterwork and ceiling roses. 2 octagonal painted ashlar gatepiers to W with projecting pointed caps.
Statement of Special Interest
Basement wall thicknesses suggest that some early fabric may be incorporated. Attribution to Newall on stylistic grounds. Building date said to have been 1839. For this type of house, see D Walker in SCOTTISH PIONEERS OF THE GREEK REVIVAL, 1984. Change of Category B to A 22.2.88
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.