Probably late 18th/early 19th century; pedimented 2-storey
7-bay classical house, encasing earlier house, and enlarged
to rear (N) probably 1828, with L-plan wing arranged to form
symmetrical W (main entrance) elevation with deeply recessed
3-bay centre. Built above steep river bank, with basement at
E. Painted rubble and ashlar dressings.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: inner 3 close-spaced bays on S elevation
shallow advanced and pedimented, blind thermal window in
tympanum, balustraded loggia at ground (?contemporary with
rear wing), central door now a window.
W elevation: wide central door-piece, 2 doric columns in
antis, panelled door, wide segmental-arched fanlight carried
over sidelights; tripartite above; wall-head stacks over
Corniced end and axial stacks throughout and piended roofs
covered with graded slates.
Interior: Fairly plain late Georgian interiors; cantilevered
stone stair at N end of original house now encased by wing.
Statement of Special Interest
SRO GD18/4749 refers to 1755 repainting. NSA refers to Dr
Rogerson of Russia (1741-1823) "..... building a respectable
mansion at Dumcrieff .....". Home for a time of John Loudon
S elevation compares with design for Murraythwaite House
apparently prepared by Walter Newall (drawing in Dumfries