There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 17/12/1979
- Supplementary Information Updated: 11/11/1994
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 32204 47269
- Coordinates: 232204, 547269
Dated 1865 2-storey, 3-bay house; some modern additions to rear. Painted squared and snecked rubble to E elevation; remaining elevations harled. Painted rybated margins, and long and short quoins to E elevation. Ornate cast-iron window guards to E elevation.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: square-plan stone porch at centre; doorway to S, with modern door and plate glass fanlight; set of granite steps up to door, with decorative cast-iron handrail; windows to E and N; string course, with blocking course above; polished granite panel, inscribed "1865", to blocking course to E; 2 modern urns surmounting porch at outer-corners. Regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: enlarged window to right of centre at ground floor. Window to right of centre, and to left at 1st floor. Small segmental-arched window in gablehead. Modern flat-roofed addition to left at ground floor, and continued round to W elevation. One gatepier, of pair of tall, modern stone gatepiers, adjoined to outer right; pair of tall decorative metal gates.
N ELEVATION: door to left of centre. Windows to outer right to both floors. Small segmental-arched window in gablehead.
W ELEVATION: stair window to left of centre and window to right at 1st floor, above adjoining modern flat-roofed addition, continued round from S elevation. Lower 2-storey gabled wing adjoned to left, with single storey gabled wing further adjoined, both with various
openings. 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to E elevation; mainly plate glass and 4-pane glazing to remaining elevations. Red sandstone coped skews. Red sandstone skewputts to E,
surmounted by modern urns. Harled gablehead stacks, with red sandstone copes to E and W, and to N to 2-storey wing. Grey slates, larger and slightly graded to wings. Octagonal cans. Red sandstone ridges.
GARDEN WALLS: rubble walls with angled rubble coping. Pair of cast-iron gatepiers and spearhead detailed double-leaf gates at centre to E.
GATES AND RAILINGS: remains of mill buildings across road to E, now partly incorporating a garden short sections of railings and gates between remaining walls of buildings. Low serpentine concrete coped rubble walls, surmounted by curved decorative cast-iron railings. Pair of square rubble gatepiers, with decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates,
to N section. Pair of plain cast-iron gates to S section.
Statement of Special Interest
Situated to the E are the former Elrig Mills, an extensive complex of ruinous rubble buildings dating from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. According to the THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, the farina mill closed in 1850, the bone-meal mill in 1904, and the oatmeal mill in 1913. Donnachie states that Elrig Mills, formerly bone and meal mills, have "probably been the largest mill in the Machars". Listed Category B in consideration of the fine ironwork.
THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 435 *J R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p 268. * I Donnachie THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY (1971) p 202.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.