There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Old Luce
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 18814 57126
- Coordinates: 218814, 557126
1590 (dated). L-plan, 4-storey tower house. Harled. Crowstepped gables. Some moulded architraves.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled jamb to left, with stair window to each floor. Architraved doorway to right to N return; panel above inscribed: "Blissit the . na of . Lord . this verk . vas begun. te. f st . day . o . March 1590 be . Thomas . Hay . of . Park . and Jonet . Mak . Dovel . his . spovs"; blank moulded panel above at 1st floor; 2 small stair windows; window breaking eaves. Corbelled turret in re-entrant angle at 3rd floor, with small slit window and roof curved out slightly from cap-house pitch. Irregularly disposed windows of various sizes to essentially 2-bay elevation to right; window with moulded architrave breaking eaves to right; massive wallhead stack to left.
N ELEVATION: gabled. Window to left at 1st floor, with deep square embrassure; 2 small windows above. 3 small windows in bay to right.
W ELEVATION: 2 windows, with moulded architraves, breaking eaves. 2 windows at 2nd floor. Larger window to left at 1st floor. Remaining windows variously sized and irregularly disposed.
S ELEVATION: lop-sided gable to left, abutted by cap-house of SE jamb to right. Irregularly disposed windows of various sizes; large window to left at 1st floor.
Variety of small-pane glazing patterns; mainly 12-pane sash and case glazing to larger windows; fixed glazing in smaller windows. Graded grey slates. Harled stacks, gablehead to N, S and to E and W of SE jamb, wallhead to E. Water spout to S.
INTERIOR: wide turnpike stair in SE jamb. 3 vaulted apartments at ground floor, connected by a vaulted passage to E. Apartment to N is kitchen, with large arched fireplace, with window to E, and closet to W, with window to W. Access to garret by stair in turret in re-entrant angle. Some moulded architraves. Some moulded surrounds to fireplaces.
Statement of Special Interest
In the Guardianship of the Secretary of State for Scotland. Castle of Park was formerly known as Park Hay. It was previously listed as "Park Hay (Castle of Park)".
Castle of Park was built in 1590 by Thomas Hay. Dunragit House became the residence of the Hays in circa 1830, and the panelling from the hall in Castle of Park was removed to Dunragit House (see separate listing). Sir John Dalrymple-Hay sold Park estate in 1875.
Detailed descriptions and plans are contained in THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND and in the INVENTORY; MacGibbon and Ross refer to the building as "Park House". These sources also illustrate the two 18th century piended wings, which were formerly adjoined to the E, being 2-storey to the SE and single storey to the NE. These wings are also recorded in photographs held in the National Monuments Record of Scotland. The wings were described as "recently
demolished" in 1972. The inscribed panel should read "Blissit be the name of the Lord this verk vas begun the first day of March 1590 be Thomas Hay of Park and Ionet Mak Dovel his spovs".
Castle of Park has been undergoing careful restoration for the past 20 years (1991). Castle of Park is used as holiday accommodation, under the management of the Landmark Trust (1993).
Re-scheduled Area, excluding Tower House, 26 November 2001.
P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 187-193, Vol II (1877) pp 230-232. D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND Vol III (1889)
pp 515-518. A Agnew THE HEREDITARY SHERIFFS OF GALLOWAY (1893) Vol I
pp 422-423, 459. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1895) Vol V p 157. NATIONAL ART SURVEY Drawings, Nos 1295-1300 (1898),
No 1301 (1880), held in National Monuments Record of Scotland (WGD/32/1-6). G Wilson "List of the Antiquities of Glenluce, Wigtownshire, with descriptive notes" PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND 1898-99, p 171. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) pp 109-110. C H Dick HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS IN GALLOWAY AND GARRICK (1916) pp 267-268. J M Rusk HISTORY OF THE PARISH AND ABBEY OF GLEN LUCE (1930) pp 89-92. Photographs, held in National Monuments Record of Scotland (WG 76-78, 299, 433).
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.