There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Date Removed: 20/02/2018
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Portpatrick
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NW 99976 54212
- Coordinates: 199976, 554212
The listing designation of this building will be removed as part of the Dual Designation 2a project. It will continue to be recognised as being of national importance through its designation as a scheduled monument.
1628-9. Roofless cruciform-plan church with earlier round tower to W. Date 1629 incised on a chancel skewputt. Rubble with red sandstone dressings. 63 feet 6 inches in length measuring from E to W, excluding projection of W tower; 24 feet 10 inches in width. Rectangular window openings (mullions removed in 1791). Entrances to W wall of N transept, S transept gable and nave?s S side (blocked). Remains of screen wall which separated W end of church (probably a later addition).
W Tower: 4-stage circular plan tower with string course dividing 2nd and 3rd stages. 16 feet 8 inches in diameter with 3 feet 6 inches thick walls. Slated round cupola added by Robert Montgomery, mason and Alexander Robinson, Wright, in 1791. Entrances to W at 1st stage and to E at 2nd stage (infilled). Small openings to each stage.
Statement of Special Interest
SCHEDULED MONUMENT. Ecclesiastical building, no longer in use as such (monument). See separate list descriptions for graveyard, manse, and bell (now in Portpatrick Parish Church). The former use of the W tower is unclear, as its openings are inconsistent with use either as a dovecot or towerhouse. The RCHAMS suggests usage in connection with an earlier church. More probably, as suggested by MacGibbon and Ross, the tower is a former lighthouse for an exceptionally dangerous coast. The authors comment that a similar round tower at the church of Cockburnspath occupies a corresponding site, looking out to sea.
F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND VOL V (1882), p219; D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL V (1887-92), pp191-193; Photograph (Stranraer Library/GWa4/28 undated); RCAHMS INVENTORY FOR COUNTY OF WIGTOWN (1912), pp136-8; J Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p491; J D Mackenzie and R R Cunningham OLD PORTPATRICK (1997), p10.