Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

Kirkmadrine Church including graveyard, McTaggart Memorial, boundary walls, gatepiers and gates excluding scheduled monument SM90192, SandheadLB16739

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/07/1972
Last Date Amended
29/05/2018
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Stoneykirk
NGR
NX 8014 48389
Coordinates
208014, 548389

Description

Mausoleum-chapel: This mausoleum-chapel dates to the late 19th century. It is rectangular on plan and built in a Romanesque style, with nave and smaller chancel to east. The construction is rubble with red sandstone dressings and narrow arched lights on the walls. The building has a grey slate roof with red sandstone skews and skewputts. The west elevation has a gabled entrance porch, which houses the carved stone collection (see statement of special interest). There is a cross on the gablehead apex.

Graveyard, McTaggart Memorial, boundary walls, gatepiers and gates: The graveyard comprises a collection of predominantly 19th century headstone graves with several column memorials. Particularly notable is a cross memorial on a mound to the south of the burial chapel dedicated to John McTaggart esquire of Ardwell, 18/10/1810. The graveyard is enclosed by a rubble boundary wall within which are two pairs of rock-faced square-plan gatepiers. The gatepiers at the entrance are topped by pyramidal caps.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM90192 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Special Interest

Marked as ruinous on the 1850 Ordnance Survey map, the current church was built on an early Christian site as a mausoleum-chapel by Lady McTaggart Stewart of Ardwell. The chapel was designed in a deliberate Romanesque style to reflect the antiquity of the site. The group of stones on display were discovered in the 19th century (the three oldest pillar stones were serving as gateposts and as a stile-slab in the churchyard wall) and recognised as the remains of an early Christian cemetery. Dating from the 6th to the 12th centuries AD, 3 of the stones are among the oldest Christian monuments in Scotland, only Whithorn has a stone of more ancient date. Property In Care.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM90192 (see separate designation record).

Statutory Address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'KIRKMADRINE CHURCH INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, MCTAGGART MEMORIAL, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES'.

References

Bibliography

Gifford J (1996). Dumfries and Galloway p387.

McIlwraith W (1875). The Visitors Guide to Wigtownshire, p133

Ordnance Survey map, 1850 (marked as ruinous)

RCAHMS. (1912) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fourth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, 1, county of Wigtown, pp154-158

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Kirkmadrine Stones

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/kirkmadrine-stones

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Kirkmadrine, site of Kirkmadrine ChurchSM90192

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Kirkmadrine Church with McTaggart Memorial in foreground looking north, on a cloudy day.
Kirkmadrine, site of Kirkmadrine Church looking east, on a cloudy day.

Printed: 20/06/2018 06:51