Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay L-plan classical farmhouse with lean-to conservatory to SW. Farm cottage and steadings to N of farmhouse. Painted rubble; raised quoins.
FARMHOUSE SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Advanced porch to centre; timber and glass entrance door to re-entrant angle to right; single window aligned above at 1st floor. Regular fenestration to flanking bays.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, grouped 4-1. Regular fenestration to recessed 4-bays to left, with exception of timber and glass door at ground in bay to right. Lean-to timber and glass conservatory in advanced bay to outer right. Single windows at ground and 1st floor to re-entrant angle.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, grouped 1-4. Single window at ground to slightly advanced bay to outer left. Single windows at ground and 1st floor to left of 4-bay group, bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor to centre; 2 single windows at ground and single window at 1st floor to right.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: timber door at ground to outer left; garage door to right; single window at 1st floor to right.
Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; wallhead, ridge and gablehead stacks; polygonal cans.
FARM COTTAGE 3-bay, single storey with attic, rectangular-plan farm cottage to N of farmhouse. Whinstone; tooled dressings. Central timber and glass entrance door; letterbox fanlight. Flanking single windows at ground; windows aligned above at 1st floor break eaves to form gables. 4-pane timber sash and case windows; rooflight. Grey slate roof; stone skews; gablehead stacks; polygonal cans.
RANGE NE ELEVATION: single and 2-storey, 21-bay range, grouped 5-6-6-4.
Single door, double door, single window, double door and single window at ground to 5-bay section to outer left; 4 doors at ground flanked by single windows to outer left and right to 6-bay section to left of centre (roof at centre forms at right-angles to join additional range) 4 cartshed openings, single door and single window at ground to 6-bay section to right of centre, 3 single windows at 1st floor; 2 cartshed openings flanked by two small rectangular openings to 4-bays to outer left. Smaller ranges formed to E and W.
BRIDGE, TOWER, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low coped round-arched whitewashed bridge, part of parapet removed for field access. Coped whitewashed walls enclose farmhouse. Square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps to farmhouse and entrance drive. Decorative iron gates and gatepiers to SW, former entrance to house. Site and date stone of the Garthland Tower (see Notes) to E of house.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
Statement of Special Interest
Garthland Tower stood 45 feet high, and was partially demolished in 1840. Datestone reads, "Site and date stone, 1274, of the Garthland Tower, feudal seat of MacDowall of Garthland, unveiled by the Countess of Stair, 28th May, 1993."