Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALBIRNIE PARK, SOUTH LODGE WITH GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB16689

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NO 29416 1821
Coordinates
329416, 701821

Description

David Bryce, 1861 with 20th century extension to W. Single storey with attic, 3 bay, gabled lodge house. Polished and stugged ashlar. Chamfered base course and partial string courses. Roll moulded, shouldered doorcase, architraved windows and stone mullions.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door in advanced, gabled porch to right of centre and window in bay to outer right; broad gable to left with canted window at ground (centre section tripartite) below string course, advanced gablet above with stop cavetto chamfers flanking centre monogrammed datestone 'CB 1861' below stepped string course and tripartite window.

E ELEVATION: gable to left with tripartite window below blind tablet, lower recessed wing to right (extension?) obscured by trees.

W ELEVATION: slightly advanced gable to left with bipartite window to right at ground and window to left, tripartite window above at gablehead. Lower extension with door and window adjoining at outer left and abutted by later extension at NW.

Modern plate glass glazing in timber frames. Grey slates. Single and multi flue ashlar stacks with moulded bases and cornices, clay cans and decorative bargeboarding with drop finials.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: 6 square, rusticated gatepiers with nailhead panels, fluted moulding to centre of frieze and cavetto cornice;

4 outer piers with obelisk finials and 2 piers flanking main gate with decorative cast iron lamp bases. Arrowhead cast iron gates.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: single course chamfered ashlar wall with inset arrowhead railings and dressed rubble block boundary walls with moulded ashlar gablet coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Gillespie & Scott added a new bathroom to South Lodge in 1930. John Balfour became master of Balbirnie in 1837, he married Lady Georgiana Campbell (daughter of the Earl of Cawdor) in 1840 and this probably accounts for the initial 'C' joining with 'B' in the datestone.

References

Bibliography

James Gillespie & Scott Archive, St Andrews University. J Gifford FIFE (1992) p236. COUNTRY LIFE Alistair Rowan "Balbirnie House, Fife", June 29th and July 6th 1972.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALBIRNIE PARK, SOUTH LODGE WITH GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 04:34