Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALBIRNIE PARK, BALBIRNIE STABLES WITH BOUNDARY WALLLB16688

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NO 29056 2319
Coordinates
329056, 702319

Description

Mid 19th century (possibly David Bryce, 1860) incorporating earlier fabric (probably 1780); James Gillespie and Scott motor house probably added 1913; converted to Craft Centre 1972. 2 storey, 10 bay, classical stable court with Gardener?s Cottage and converted bothy. Droved sandstone ashlar with raised quoins. Base and eaves courses, eaves cornice to Gardener?s Cottage and Ardyne. Round headed openings, keystone and voussoirs.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: wide, advanced pend entrance at centre with moulded and keystoned arch on flanking squat, corniced pilasters with pal stones at inner angles; pediment above with glazed oculus in tympanum. 3 windows at ground with 3 small windows above to right and left of centre, voussoired arch (part blocked with 2 small windows) to outer right with glazed oculus over, window in penultimate bay to left and window above with flat dormerhead breaking eaves, bay to outer left with voussoired arch (part blocked with 1 window) and glazed oculus above.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration including 4 flat dormerheaded windows breaking eaves to right and door off centre right. Return to left with window at 1st floor right and shouldered, centre wallhead stack.

SW (GARDNER?S COTTAGE) ELEVATION: symmetrical.

Timber canopied porch with cast iron columns and panelled timber door with narrow, small pane fanlight at centre; 2 part window to right of centre and 3 part window to left at ground; 3 2 part windows to 1st floor. Boundary wall with pedestrian door adjoining to outer right. Return to right with lean to extension at ground, 2 part window above and small glazed oculus in gablehead.

SE ELEVATION: lower, with gambrel roof to left. Slightly recessed, infill(?) bay to right with 2 part window in timber gablehead, boundary wall abutting immediately to left; asymmetrical fenestration beyond to left (concealed behind SW boundary of walled garden).

COURTYARD: pend arch to NW range flanked by variety of openings including former hayloft, balcony and windows with pedimented dormerheads. Bowed stair towers in re entrant angles to left and right.

SE RANGE: lower, free standing motor house. Variety of elements including altered double garage doors and windows. NE RANGE: extending beyond courtyard to E. Door to left at ground, 4 windows to right and further door beyond; adjoining outer right 3 bay house (?Ardyne?) with flight of railed steps to panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight at centre in pilastered and corniced doorcase, flanking windows. 8 bay 1st floor with dormerheaded windows breaking eaves, some altered, some pedimented, 2 flat roofed. Outer left window with stone bracketed balcony and decorative cast iron railings.

SW RANGE: rear of Gardner?s Cottage. 2 windows to each floor.

Variety of small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, some lying pane: decorative astragals to occuli (NE). Gardner?s Cottage with plate glass glazing in top opening, timber windows to SW: and plate glass glazing in modern timber windows to some 1st floor bays. Graded grey and purple slates. Coped ashlar stacks (some shouldered) with some cans; cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers. Stone sets to courtyard and pend.

INTERIOR: Gardner?s Cottage: timber stair, shutters and inward opening casement windows.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

According to Rowan, "Between 1784 and 1786 a walled garden was built behind the stables"; thus the original stables probably date from circa 1780, this being contemporaneous with the re modelling of Balbirnie House. David Bryce was working at Balbirnie in the early 1860s. ?Ardyne? is thought to have been a bothy but is now considerably altered. Gillespie and Scott?s archive lists drawings (missing) for a Motor House, probably 1913; the SE range goes by this name.

References

Bibliography

COUNTRY LIFE Alistair Rowan "Balbirnie House, Fife" (June 29 and

July 6, 1972). Gifford FIFE (1992), p236. 1st OS map, 1854. R Lamont Brown DISCOVERING FIFE (1988), p77. James Gillespie and Scott Archive, St Andrews University Library, bundle 1393.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALBIRNIE PARK, BALBIRNIE STABLES WITH BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 06:01