Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MILTON OF BALGONIE, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB16667

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/09/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NO 32283 715
Coordinates
332283, 700715

Description

1836. Aisless, T plan, crowstepped church with corbelled bellcote. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble with droved dressings and droved long and short work quoins. Base course and eaves course. Pointed arch openings with chamfered reveals, hoodmoulds with label stops, stone transoms and mullions.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: crowstepped gable with 2 leaf panelled timber door in hoodmoulded doorway at centre, small (part blocked) window to right; large bipartite, traceried window above and corbelled bellcote at gablehead with pedimented pointed arch opening to each face below small finialled spire.

E ELEVATION: crowstepped gable with centre door and traceried window

as above.

S ELEVATION: large, hoodmoulded, transomed 2 light traceried windows flanking centre, and pal stones at outer angles.

N ELEVATION: advanced T projection crowstepped gable at centre with window as above; recessed face to right blinded window to outer right over low piended extension with boarded timber door to left and small window to right in re entrant angle, further small window on return to right. Recessed face to left with narrow, blinded window.

Windows glazed with diamond pattern leaded glazing, those to S with coloured margins. Windows to extension, fixed timber with 4 pane glazing pattern. Grey slates. Small, coped ashlar stack with can; ashlar coped skews and cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: 3 sided gallery, with blind arcading to fronts (Roman faced clock to centre of N gallery) on cast iron shafts; full complement of box pews, some to W gallery displaced. S wall with margined, leaded windows flanking decorative pulpit with finialled, ogee canopied sounding board. Panelled altar table with WWI War Memorial plaques for Milton and Windygates, harmonium, font and chair. N transept with memorial stones to former ministers, Rev J Moncrieff and Rev W Bain. Plain cornicing. Small vestibule with boarded timber dado and bell pull; timber stair to left leading to gallery and pointed arch, panelled timber door opposite main door; similar vestibule to E.

GRAVEYARD: collection of mid 19th century headstones and monuments, including pedimented upright slab with carved obelisk and praying female 'In Memory of Elizabeth Langlands, 1858': monument to Robert Duff (died 1867) with fine floreate carving and scrolled coping. Prominent local families are represented by a plain headstone to Andrew and David Durie, died 1874 and 94; and a marble slab set into W boundary wall to 'Henry Cecil, 4th child of CRD Bethune Esq', died 1854.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low, saddleback coped squared rubble boundary wall to S; semicircular coped rubble boundary walls to N, E and W. Pyramidal coped, square ashlar gatepiers with cast iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as chapel of ease with '650 sittings', and elevated to Quoad Sacra Parish Church in 1840, which date appears on an almost complete set of Communion tokens; joined with Windygates Parish Church 1956. Built on land given by the Balfours, "solely by the heritors and people of the district to be benefited by the erection" (NSA); many of whom would be connected with the flax spinning mill (1807 1886) around which Balgonie grew. Services are currently held in the vestry. According to Cunningham, "the churchyard was recently closed by order of the Sheriff, having been found overcrowded and unsuitable".

References

Bibliography

NSA. A Cunningham MARKINCH AND ITS ENVIRONS (1907). Gifford FIFE (1992), p324. Groome?s GAZETTEER, Vol I. Information courtesy of

Rev Olsen.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILTON OF BALGONIE, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND CHURCH WITH GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 00:21