Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LIMEKILNS, 8 ACADEMY SQUARE, THE KING'S CELLARLB1643

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
31/12/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
23/03/2001
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 7629 83443
Coordinates
307629, 683443

Description

Early-mid 16th century; possibly incorporating material from 1362; later modifications. 2-storey storehouse. Large sandstone blocks; central pediment and forestair. Ashlar surrounds to openings.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 1st floor timber boarded door; inserted pediment above with coat of arms and dated 1581; ball finial. Forestair to door. Ground floor window to right of door; chamfered surround. Blocked arrowslit to right of window. Pointed-arched window to left of stairs (former door). Single 1st floor windows flank door.

W ELEVATION: later (20th century) timber extension.

N ELEVATION: plain elevation. Elevation partially cut away to E (former turnpike stair).

E ELEVATION: blocked 1st floor pointed-arched window. Lower N half of E gable cut away for turnpike; skewputt with corbel to upper half of gable. Advanced corbelled base at 1st floor to former turnpike stair. Turnpike in concave NE angle; 1st floor door; raggles of stairs above.

INTERIOR: ground floor entrance at W gable, steps lead down into ground floor. Single room; barrel vaulted; plain interior; concrete floor. Blocked openings to S visible; arched door (now window); arched recess to right; 2 blocked windows to left of former door. Modern screen wall and door to E; blocked niche in E wall to left. Tongue and groove panelling in 1912 extension at W end and timber staircase leads to upper level. Pointed-arch doorway to 1st floor at W gable. Tall, single room; pointed barrel vaulted. 3 rooflights inserted into ceiling to N; arched window in E gable (now covered); arched fireplace in N wall (now covered). Advanced curve of turnpike in NE angle; doorway. Replacement timber floor; raised floor section to E.

Inserted and replacement windows; 4 fixed lower lights; 2 top hung upper lights. 3 rear rooflights. Pitched roof; grey slate laid in diminishing courses; raised skews; narrow parapet at eaves to front and rear. Tall stack to rear springs from wallhead.

Statement of Special Interest

The King's Cellar, despite its rather misleading name, serves as a reminder of Limekiln's early relationship with Dunfermline Abbey and of its trading position by the Firth of Forth. Limekilns operated as a port and The King's Cellar was probably built as a monk's grange, a storehouse for, most likely, Dunfermline Abbey. The building is first mentioned in 1362 but it is only in the 19th century that it is referred to as The King's Cellar. Despite its alterations, the King's Cellar is one of the most interesting buildings in Limekilns. The central door and upper floor windows were inserted when the building was used as a school, hence the name of the square. F W Deas undertook the restoration in 1911-1912 and added the present forestair which replaced a flight of timber steps , slated the roof and inserted the pediment. 18 inches of earth were removed from the ground floor during renovation, the level of which now lies beneath the current ground level. The outside ground level has risen enough to cover most of the pointed-arched doorway which was possibly the original entrance to the ground floor. A possible malt-kiln or glass furnace used for the manufacture of bottles was discovered during renovation at the W end of the building.

The remnants of the turnpike at the NE angle suggests at one time a higher floor or tower, possibly a beacon or lookout tower. Since the rooms are not connected to each other, it is possible that a forestair gave access to the 1st floor door at the W gable. The building has had a variety of uses including a wine cellar, storehouse, school, library, concert hall and an Episcopal church. In 1910 it was founded as a Freemason's Lodge, Lodge Elgin and Bruce, number 1077 on the Roll of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and this remains its current use. It belongs to the Broomhall Estate.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1856; Lord Wavertree, LIMEKILNS AND PASSAGIUM REGINAE, 1929, p58-63; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF FIFE, KINROSS AND CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p126; S Chesher, L Foster, L Hogben, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES, 1979, p8; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, 1990, p32; N Fotheringham, THE STORY OF LIMEKILNS, 1997, p57; Additional information courtesy of Mr Chalmers; additional information courtesy of the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LIMEKILNS, 8 ACADEMY SQUARE, THE KING'S CELLAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 08:33