Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

1-6 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) CHARLESTOWN VILLAGE (NORTH ROW)LB1637

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
31/12/1971
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 6575 83753
Coordinates
306575, 683753

Description

Later 18th century-earlier 19th century. L-plan row of 5 single storey cottages and 1 single storey and attic, (4 Charlestown Village), brick upper storey added 1850's. 3-bay cottages except 4-bays to L-plan 2 Charlestown Village. Rendered sandstone.

S ELEVATION: principal elevation to 3-6 Charlestown Village. 3 windows to left (2 Charlestown Village); central door with flanking windows elsewhere. Piended porch to 3 Charlestown Village. Box windows flank central door; 2 pitched dormer windows to 4 Charlestown Village.

E ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

N ELEVATION: some modern single storey rear extensions, some contemporary piended extensions remain.

W ELEVATION: principal elevation to 1-2 Charlestown Village. N outshot to 1 Charlestown Village; canted bow window to left of 1 Charlestown Village front door; single window to right. 2 windows to left of 2 Charlestown Village front door; single window to right.

INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows apart from box and bay windows. Windows enlarged to 6 Charlestown Village; rooflight to front of 4 Charlestown Village; modern windows to rear. Continuous piended slate roof, broken by raised pitched slate roof to 4 Charlestown Village. 2 gable end stacks to 4 Charlestown Village; total of 5 ridge stacks elsewhere.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 7-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double piended roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie, COUNTY OF FIFE Map, 1775; S Chesher, L Foster, L Hogben, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES, 1979, pp15-29; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, 1990, p31; N Fotheringham, CHARLESTOWN, 1997; Additional information courtesy of Lord Bruce.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-6 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) CHARLESTOWN VILLAGE (NORTH ROW)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 06:19