Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
NJ 27929 8315
327929, 808315


Mr Daniel architect (see Notes), 1834-5. Dignified rectangular-plan church with 4-bay nave, pinnacled bellcote with bell and good galleried interior, on peaceful site close to Corgarff Village Hall. Squared and coursed rubble with contrasting pink granite long and short quoins and margins. Granite ashlar base course. Decoratively-astragalled, voussoired, pointed arch windows and transom lights, chamfered reveals.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: gabled elevations to N and S each with centre bay comprising 6-panelled 2-leaf timber door and transom light below similar triangular window, flanking square headed lights blocked; bellcote to N gable. E elevation with 4 large windows, W blind.

Multi-pane decoratively-astragalled glazing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar skews with flat skewputts.

INTERIOR: fine little altered interior with pulpit at centre of E wall and 5-sided gallery (running E-W) on Greek Doric columns. Simple box pews, panelled gallery and decorative cast iron oil lamp fittings. Pulpit with flanking steps, and 5-sided ogee capped sounding board. Small (later) pipe organ fronting pulpit.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. This simple, unaltered church boasts a well-detailed interior of some quality. Although Hay refers to a 'Plan by Mr Daniel Hay', the coincidence of date with John Smith's Keig Parish Church, and the almost identical bellcote suggest the hand of this important Aberdeen architect. Furthermore, during 1835 Smith was working on nearby Candacraig House, one of the glen houses connected with the Forbes family. The Fasti report notes that there was a 'mission maintained by Royal Bounty set up at Corgarff in 1740. Sir Charles Forbes of Newe, Bart, built a new chapel and manse for the mission in 1834'. With seating for 250, the church and manse were built at a cost of almost £1000. The parish of Corgarff was disjoined from Strathdon and Tarland on 9th March, 1874, giving it quoad sacra status, and the last service was held in 2005.



New Statistical Account Vol 12 (1840), p547. George Hay The Architecture of Scottish Post Reformation Churches 1560-1843 (1957), pp116 and 242. I Shepherd RIAS Gordon (1994), pp70, 98. Third Statistical Account (1960), p284. Groome (1882), Vol I, p285. Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae Vol VI (1926).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CORGARFF, FORMER CHURCH OF SCOTLAND CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 12:55