There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 22/02/1972
- Supplementary Information Updated: 17/01/2012
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Mortlach
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 32374 39285
- Coordinates: 332374, 839285
T-plan church of mainly 19th and 20th century appearance, but incorporating medieval and post-medieval fabric. Restored and re-cast, A Marshall Mackenzie and Son and George, 1930-1. Harled, rubble N return gable, tooled ashlar dressings. Important monuments inside. Substantial (circa 1830?) N wing with 2 later 19th century pointed-headed entrances linked by continuous hoodmould; large pointed-headed 3-light window under hoodmould in gable, similar window in S gable. E gable lit by 3 re-worked medieval lancets; similar lancet in E bay of long S elevation. Centre projecting shallow gabled bay in S elevation flanked by paired square-lintelled later 18th century windows, each window with 2 mullioned lights and shutter hooks embedded in margins.
Rear gallery gabled dormer windows; varied glazing. Steeply pitched slate roof to main portion of church with circa 1700 skewputts; slated roofs elsewhere. Rear forestair to organ loft. Canted minister's porch in NE re-entrant angle (1930-1).
INTERIOR: entrance lobby in N wing housing collection 16th and 17th century tombstones; also celtic cross. Main body of church re-modelled 1931, orientated to raised chancel at E with 1931, pulpit and communion table. Recumbant effigy of circa 1550 in segmental mural recess (recess of 1931) at NE. Substantial 1694 mural monument (J Faid, Elgin) at S. With armorial, inscription and 2 sculptured busts. Recessed war memorial chapel in centre of S wall (in former organ bay); N and W galleries with plain panelled fronts, organ houses in W gallery. Some stained glass including circa 1918 memorial window in E gable by Douglas Strachan. Various 19th century mural tablets.
WATCH HOUSE: small square harl pointed watch house with canted W front. Centre door with flanking pointed-headed windows; tall rear renewed stack; piended local slate roof.
BURIAL GROUND: large irregular shaped walled burial ground sloping S and E to valley bottom. Coped rubble walls with spear-head railings fronting road. Pair carriage entrances at E and W with simple flanking capped piers. Interesting 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Listing does not include modern burial ground on E side of
Celtic cross in entrance lobby a Scheduled Monument.
Recumbant knight in armour in N wall of chancel is effigy
of Alexander Leslie of Kininvie, died circa 1549.
Mural monument at S wall inscribed 'Mi fecit Johannes Faid'
(of Elgin) dedicated to Alexander Duff of Keithmore and
Helen Grant his wife (tombstones in lobby). Inscription
records happy marriage of 40 years and 'a flourishing
family of liberally educated children'.
Listed A for medieval E end and monuments.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (xvii and xxi, 1794-5, 1799) ed
Grant and Witherton vol. xvi, p.33.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1836), p.108. ELGIN COURANT, 26
June 1931. Description of reconstruction.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.