Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PITTENSAIRLB15803

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
31/05/1974
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
St Andrews-Lhanbryd
NGR
NJ 28226 60686
Coordinates
328226, 860686

Description

James Ogilvie, master mason, dated 1735. N facing 2-storey,

3-bay house. Harled rubble, ashlar dressings. Later

additions at E gable and S elevation.

Centre door in N front masked by later gabled wooden

porch. Moulded surround to doorway; also to all front

windows, which have been widened in ground and 1st

floor outer bays.

Symmetrical rear fenestration; small ground window each

side of centre door (blocked at W) and in centre 1st floor,

all narrow with plain chamfered jambs. Single ground floor

and long 1st floor window in W gable; 8- and 12-pane glazing.

Oval oculus in W gable to light loft with 'James Olgilvie'

carved above and 'Marjory Steuart' below.

Moulded corniced copes to end stacks, with narrow pulvinated stringcourse below cornice and small ledge at inner face,

with moulded underside. Shaped skewputts, that at NW

dated; flat skews continuously moulded on underside and

splayed at base to follow line of bellcast roof; graded

Banffshire slate roof with stone ridge.

Later single storey rubble extension at rear, masking

rear centre entrance; single storey, 3-bay cottage (now

gutted) at E gable; moulded architraves to centre door.

End stacks and corrugated iron roofs to both.

INTERIOR: small circular cantilevered staircase with moulded

underside, polished wood balustrade and slender wooden

balusters; original moulded chimneypieces in W ground and

1st floor rooms; simple moulded ceiling cornices; 'stake'

and hris' (wattle, clay and straw) party wall in loft.

Statement of Special Interest

James Ogilvie was a master mason and it can be assumed

that he was architect-builder of his own dwelling in which,

in minature, he includes details from the greater mansions

on which he worked. The moulding on the underside of the

staircase is similar to that at Gordonstoun House,

re-modelled 1730, on which he may well have worked. James

Ogilvie was 'Architect and Undertaker' for Speymouth church,

he and the minister having 'contrived' the plan between

them in 1732-3.

Unusual detailing to end stacks, the ledges probably

assisting the cleaning of the chimneys besides throwing

rainwater away from the ridge.

Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88

References

Bibliography

Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH

ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978), p. 600.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITTENSAIR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:39