Dated 1776. Tall, 3-storey mansion over basement, symmetrical
5-bay pedimented SW front, with later porch. Rear wing
dated 1870. Pinned ashlar frontage, coursed rubble flanks,
polished ashlar dressings.
Original centre entrance masked by substantial single
3-bay porch with side entrance, said to be 1868, pedimented
and columned doorpiece; corniced wallhead with ball
finials at intervals.
Regular frontage with slightly advanced, pedimented centre
3-bay fenestration to return elevations with some blind
windows; long 1st floor windows. 9-, 12- and 15-pane glazing.
Rusticated quoins; oculus in pediment; corniced blocking
course encircles wallhead with angle ball finials (some
missing); tall coped panelled end wallhead stacks; double
piended slate roof.
Substantial 4-storey and attic, wide 2-bay rear wing dated
1870. Coursed rubble, ashlar dressings. Regular fenestration,
12-pane glazing; quoins; hipped and corniced end stacks;
piended slate roof.
Rear wing linked to main house by single bay block with ground
floor service portico
INTERIOR: ENTRANCE HALL: enlarged circa 1870 by linking
former entrance with SE ground floor room.
STAIRCASE AND STAIRWELL: cantilevered stone staircase with
moulded lip to risers; plain wooden balusters. Plaster
balusters. Plaster ceiling with swagged frieze and
and central tondo.
DINING ROOM: carved white marble chimneypiece with marble
slips, circa 1870 cast-iron grate, dado rail.
DRAWING ROOM: on 1st floor, high ceiling with bracketted
corniced anthemion frieze, dado rail. Fielded panelled
doors and window shutters throughout.
Gatepiers: circa 1776 flanking former entrance (former
Lossiemouth) at W of house. pair square rusticated ashlar
piers with moulded cornice and ball finials. No gates survive.
Statement of Special Interest
Pitgaveny once part of lands of Bishopric of Moray, passing
later to the Brodies of Lethen. Purchased circa 1765 by
James Brander, a merchant dealing in Lisbon whose
initials, JB are on the datestone. Pitgaveny inherited in
1854 by James Brander's grand-daughter, Mrs Brander Dunbar,
who initiated building additions.