Dated 1641 or 1644, but probably commenced in early 17th
century. 4-storey tower house, each storey containing a
single room. Harled rubble, ashlar dressings and margins.
Centre entrance in S elevation to slightly sunken vaulted
store. Off-centre entrance to 1st floor reached by later
forestair with dated armorial panel above entrance; single
small window to each floor in S front, small vents elsewhere.
Round bartizans corbelled out at SE and NW angles with
conical roofs, small windows and shot-holes square, open
bartizan at SW angle with corbelled base and crenellated
wallhead. Chamfered margins; iron window grills. Coped
end and tall wallhead stacks; flush stone slab roof
mounted on stone vault.
INTERIOR: vaulted ground floor store with gun loops in N,
E and W walls; stone slab can be raised from opening in
crown of vault to pass goods up or down from 1st floor hall.
1st floor hall with deep window embrasure, mural closet,
aumbry, small coat of arms and yett. Mural stair leads to
2nd and 3rd floor rooms. Each room barrel vaulted except
that on 3rd floor which has arch pointed vaulting supporting
roof, the vaults alternating in directing on each floor.
Further mural closet in 2nd floor room; 3rd floor room
opens to bartizans.
Statement of Special Interest
Armorial panel above 1st floor entrance initialled RI and AI for Robert Innes of Invermarkie, superior, and Alexander Innes of Coxton. Second set of initials are IR and KG for Janet Reid and Kate Gordon, 1st and 2nd wives respectively of Alexander Innes of Coxton, who died 6 October, 1612 and is buried in Lhanbryde burial ground. Coxton Tower thought to have been commenced by Alexander Innes and completed by his grandson, Sir Alexander Innes, whose arms with those of his 2nd wife, Mary MacKenzie of Coul, Ross-shire are in the 1st floor hall. The armorial must be after 1647, the year Sir Alexander s first wife died.