Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 21663 10712
321663, 710712


Circa 1820-1830; later 19th century addition to rear; further 20th century alterations. Single storey, roughly L-plan, 2-bay Greek Revival lodge with distinctive shallow bow window with Doric colonettes to main elevation (the centre intercolumniation segmentally arched), tetrastyle Doric portico, shallow canted bay with Doric colonettes to south elevation, low pitched roof, deep eaves with bargeboards. Red ashlar sandstone, rear extension rendered. Located at south entrance to estate. Base course, eaves course, blocking course.

Lying pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; ashlar stack with simple cope and yellow clay cans; grey slates with lead roofs to bays.

Statement of Special Interest

An elegant and largely unaltered early 19th century lodge which retains its characteristic lying-pane glazing and fine exterior detailing. Greek Revival style lodges are relatively rare in Scotland and are generally found where the architect of the main house has also designed the ancillary buildings but is not the case for this building, further emphasising its importance. The simple late 19th century extension is positioned discreetly so that it does not affect the original profile of the lodge. It is a strong presence on the A91 the main road between Milnathort and Cupar at the south entrance to Pitlour and is an important component of the estate, reflecting its evolving history.

The lodge was clearly designed by an architect of considerable skill and originality though as yet no architect has been revealed through documentary sources. It has been suggested that the quality of this lodge is such that an architect of the stature of Thomas Hamilton who was adept at designing in the Greek revival style may be responsible for the design. The details such as the gentle arch over the two central windows of the bow and its ogee roof are of considerable quality and point to an architect of some skill as does the handling of the portico where the Greek details are carefully managed (e.g. gentle entasis in the columns).

It is likely that the lodge was built at the same time as new approaches to the estate were being formed, in 1825-26 and in 1828 by Alexander Martin, surveyor, Cupar. Until the 1870s all visitors would pass this lodge on their way into the estate.

The lodge was already in use before 1841 when William Stevenson, gamekeeper, was living there. A succession of gamekeepers lived in the lodge until the 1880s when the estate foresters were accommodated in it. In 1861 William Rutherford, gamekeeper, and his family were living in the house. Rutherford had five sons and one daughter and it seems likely that the rear extension was added to give them extra living space. The glazing pattern in the windows of the rear extension suggests a rather later date, though it may have been reglazed at this later time.

Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2014.



Shown on OS 1st edition map (1856). Census Records. C McWilliam, 'Pitlour' Scotland's Magazine, October 1960, pp37-40. H Colvin, Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (2008). 'Buildings of Scotland' research notes (RCAHMS). Additional information courtesy of Professor David Walker, 2013. R D A Evetts, 'Pitlour House and Landscape: An Account of Its Development' (unpublished research report, March 2014).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH LODGE, PITLOUR HOUSE, STRATHMIGLO

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2019 06:58