Circa 1740. Long 2-storey kiln barn with long elevations
N and S. Mixed pinned and harl pointed rubble, tooled
granite dressings. Centre door flanked by vents; opposite
door in rear wall (for winnowing); 4 loft windows N and
S, kiln taking up one quarter of internal space at W of
building with small vents below eaves, N, S and W. Piended
roof with dormered loading door at E gable; some
alterations at E end for conversion of ground floor as
cottage in 19th century. Ridge stack for kiln and later
ridge cottage stack; piended local slate roof
deteriorating at SW.
INTERIOR: double-leaf plank doors hinged in centre (to
control draught for winnowing); drawbar holes to each
entrance, mural aumbry close to S door. Circular kiln bowl
with 2 openings into kiln, one above the other; original
smoke blackened 'kiln-sticks' now boarded over to make
floor at 1st floor level; stone mural chute from kiln
floor to ground floor. Storage loft with wooden shutters
to 8 windows with cills at floor level; pegged timber
roof with ashlar and sole plates at wallhead.
Statement of Special Interest
William Duff, Lord of Braco bought Rothiemay in 1741,
dying 1763; the barn is known to have been built during
his lifetime. This kiln barn is a rare survival, the
conversion of part of the E end as a gardener's cottage
in no way obscuring the functional nature of the building.
There is one other kiln barn in Moray District, now Bow
Cottage, Ballindalloch and one similar building, at
Sandside, Caithness. Change of Category B to A 25.4.89.