Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAINS OF MAYENLB15610

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Rothiemay
NGR
NJ 57465 47769
Coordinates
357465, 847769

Description

Dated 1680. 2-storey, L-plan house with circular stair

turret in re-entrant angle; 3 builds circa 1600, 1680 and

mid-later 19th century. Harled, whinstone and granite

ashlar dressings, substantial boulder footings to earliest

portion of house at N. N-S rectangular block with main E

elevation comprises circa 1600 build at N and 1680 at S,

with simple doorway in E front under dated and inscribed

plaque. Mid-later 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay block at

right angles with projecting gabled porch in N face and

enlarged ground floor windows. Circular stair tower with

2 windows and diminutive gabletted wallhead dormers;

bellcast slated roof. Varied fenestration with small

gabletted dormers breaking wallhead in older portion, 1

dormer at E having gablet dated 1680. Substantial early

ridge stack in early block (probably circa 1600) with end

stacks, small ridge stack in mid-later 19th century wing;

slate roofs; crowstepped gables.

INTERIOR: simple interior; plank door with long blacksmith's

hinges in E elevation giving into room with hearth in cross

wall with roughly tooled granite facings and 2 mural

aumbries. Ground floor room at N with indication of former

internal mural stair; wheel stair in drum tower.

Statement of Special Interest

Lands of Mayen were originally part of the Barony of

Rothiemay and were bestowed on David Abernethy by David

II in 14th century; in 1445 an Abernethy became the first

Earl of Saltoun. Arms above doorway for Alexander Abernethy

and Jean Hacket or Halkett his wife, 'Alus per Christum

AA IH 1680'. The property was purchased by Major Alexander

Duff in 1785-8, who built Mayen House and demoted the old

house as the Mains of Mayen. West wing of mid-later 19th

century date appears on 1st ed OS of circa 1870. Change

of Category B to A, 25.4.89.

References

Bibliography

Nigel Tranter, THE FORTIFIED HOUSE IN SCOTLAND v (1986),

pp. 66-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAINS OF MAYEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 08:25