Thomas Mackenzie, 1845-6. Neo-Tudor, 2-storey square school
with principal elevation to N and mirrored return elevations
E and W. Tooled ashlar, polished ashlar sandstone dressings.
9-bay principal N elevation with advanced outer and centre
bays linked by 3-bay arcades with terrace above fronting 1st
floor windows. Centre bay pierced by full-height hoodmoulded
arch framing recessed entrance and 1st floor window. Clasping
octagonal buttresses rise above wallhead as cusped octagonal
pinnacles with exaggerated stiff-leaf finials, crenellated
wallhead supporting niche housing statue of founder, crowned
as pinnacles but more ornate. Substantial oriel window in 1st
floor of outer bays.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each of 7 bays with advanced centre bay
with hoodmoulded Tudor arched entrance; similarly treated
ground floor fenestration. Centre 1st floor window under
Multi-pane margined glazing; continuous string course links
all 1st floor windows.
Square tower on rear elevation rises single stage above
centre of building with crenellated angle finials and
wallhead. Similarly detailed octagonal angle turrets to each
advanced bay; decorative crenellation to wallhead with
intermediate finials. Slate roofs.
Low terrace with ashlar retaining wall and shallow flight
steps fronts building.
INTERIOR: main assembly hall fitted as gymnasium; wide stone
staircase rises to 1st floor.
ENCLOSING WALLS WITH GATEPIERS: low coped retaining wall to
High Street frontage with entrance flanked by octagonal
ashlar gatepiers with ornate stiff-leaf finialled caps. Site
enclosed with coped wall; simple ashlar gatepiers flank W
entrance to Institution Road.
Statement of Special Interest
'Milne's Free Schools' inscribed at base of founder's statue.
School gifted and endowed by legacy ($20,000) of Alexander
Milne (died 1839), a native of Fochabers and former employee
of Gordon Castle who emigrated to America and made a fortune,
most of which he left to his native town.
Various modern freestanding school buildings not included in
Upgraded: B to A, 24.03.88