Thomas Faulkner of Cupar, mason, 1796; tower by James Gillespie Graham, 1811. T-plan church. Whin rubble, with contrasting yellow ashlar dressings. 4-stage Gothic tower at east gable has blocked round-headed opening to each stage of south elevation; partially blocked rectangular openings to east elevation; round-headed, louvred opening to each face
of top stage; stepped angle buttresses with pinnacles, linked by corbelled battlemented parapet. T-plan body of church with symmetrical south elevation, central window Venetian with blind centre light,
2 outer with round heads and ogee tracery; doors in outer bays, (one blocked) square-headed window to north, with 1 round-headed window at
gallery level on gable end of T. Low gabled session house projects at east.
INTERIOR: hexagonal pulpit with pilastered and panelled back-board on south wall. Semi-octagonal gallery, with panelled front, supported on Tuscan column; some box pews. Decorative ceiling roses. Leaded galss windows by William Wilson. Marble monuments by John Steel, Edinburgh flank pulpit; monument to left, to David, 8th Earl of Level, 7th Earl of
Melville and family, is dated 1865; monument to right, to Major Alexander Viscount Balgonie, is dated 1859. Panelled doors, with original latches. Tower encloses circular stone stair; 4 bells, one dated 1753.
Statement of Special Interest
Register House Plan 22507 shows seating plan by David Martin, Architect, 1798; RHP 22508 shows proposed seating plan by P MacGregor Chalmers 1912. (A letter from Chalmers detailing his proposals is mixed in with the Free Church Session Minutes (see SRO CH3/679/15). RHP 22509 shows plans by G P K Young, architect, for proposed seating alterations, 1929
Gillespie and Scott drawings index in SNMR includes proposed seating plan, 1912. In ecclesiastical use.