Archibald Sipson, 1832-4; additions and alterations,
Alexander Ross, 1874.
2-tier Gothic church, combining Parsonage (former school) in
ground floor and chapel in 1st floor. Orientated N-S with S
entrance gable to Castle Street. Tooled ashlar entrance
gable, harled flanks, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Austere S gable with round-headed entrance (simple nookshafts
and moulded reveals) in centre and triple light
pointed-headed window above linked by cill course and
continuous hoodmould; flanking square clasping buttresses
with blind slits and terminating as octagonal gablet detailed
pinnacles with stiff-leaf finials. Projecting 2-storey stair
wing at W (1874).
Triple light window in 1st floor at N gable with (1874) rose
window above. Slate roofs.
Entrance to Gordon Chapel House in W elevation; varied
glazing to windows; single storey wing at NE with piended
INTERIOR OF CHAPEL: entrance lobby with mural memorial dated
1838. Stairs (installed 1874) lead to Chapel largely
redesigned and refurnished 1874. Flat ceiling removed and
replaced by hammer-beam roof; pine dado, pews and pulpit;
brass communion rail; richly stencilled N chancel wall.
Stained glass by Morris and Co, some designed by Sir Edward
Burne-Jones; E window depicting crucifixion (and probably
dating from 1874), 2 windows on W wall and 3 in E wall
depicting variously St Cecilia (1879), St Ursula (1887),
Archangel Raphael (1902), Christ the Good Shepherd (1903) and
St Michael (1914).
Later 19th century decorative brass wall light brackets.
Grey-white oval marble font with swagged and panelled sides
supported by slender stem on plinth (possibly re-used from