1802 for Robert Nutter Campbell; altered by John Dick Peddie, 1920; further extensions later in 20th century. Pair of single storey and attic, multi-bayed, rectangular-plan classical piended lodges; screen walls attached with arched footgates leading to high octagonal gatepiers. Coursed whinstone rubble with tabbed polished ashlar dressings and rusticated long and short quoins, eaves course and moulded cornice. Ashlar footgates and gatepiers.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: 3-bay with central bay recessed and containing an architraved and corniced window, painted wrought-iron spear-headed security bars to lower sash; mutules supporting eaves course; outer bays with narrow window and blind moulded plaque above. Central segmental-headed stone dormer to attic with slated cheeks and arched roof.
SW & NE ELEVATIONS: facing drive, central architraved door with projecting cornice and shallow segmental pediment, plain window to flanks. Facing gardens, single storey, harled flat-roofed extensions with irregular modern fenestration.
SE (REAR) ELEVATIONS: central bay recessed and containing an architraved and corniced window, mutules supporting eaves course; blind walls to outer bays with high blind moulded plaque. Central segmental-arch pedimented stone dormer to attic with slated cheeks and arched lead roof.
10 and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows (smaller 6 or 8-pane upper sash with 4 larger panes to lower sash); narrow 4-pane dummy sash and case lights to NW elevations. Piended grey slate roof (pavilion-roofed) with lead ridging and flashings; flat-roofs to later extensions. Dormers with slated cheeks and segmental arched lead roof. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods with concealed gutters. Tall ashlar stack to centre of each roofline with moulded ashlar neck cope and 4 later cans; smaller harled stack to later extension of NE lodge with plain cans.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but in use as residential accommodation.
GATEPIERS AND GATES: pair of tall octagonal ashlar gatepiers with matching cornices and caps and roundel decorated friezes; vehicular access gates now missing; screen walls adjoining (and linking with lodges) containing arched pedestrian entrances with impost course, ashlar voussoirs and projecting moulded wall-cornice; painted wrought-iron gates with spear-headed dog bars, diamond detailed panel and spear-headed vertical bars forming semi-circular gate head. Low arched wing wall survives, adjoining NE lodge at N angle.
Statement of Special Interest
These paired lodges are part of the surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished circa 1962. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the site of the main house. The stable / kennel block and walled garden survive and are listed separately. These lodges, set to the NW of the house, formed the main formal entrance to the estate. The main tree-lined drive led from them and through the parkland. The drive continued down between the stables/kennel block and walled garden, but a picturesque branch led over the main bridge to the house. The drive then arched south-eastwards through Kailzie Park to the picturesque E lodge (listed separately). The compact NE lodges were stylistically similar to the main house, resembling miniature versions with their tabbed quoins and dressings and eaves cornice. Dick Peddie (who was also responsible for the dormers, which take their stylistic inspiration from those found on the garden front of the demolished house) altered them. The lodges were further extended by the addition of small flat-roofed harled extensions. Listed as a good example of a pair of classical lodges.
W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) showing original house and estate buildings. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing stables marked as "dog kennel". J W Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) pp544-547. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS, PEEBLESSHIRE (circa 1964) pp294-295. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES (1986) pp339-343. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft and Lady Buchan-Hepburn.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KAILZIE, LODGES, GATEPIERS AND GATES
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 16/11/2018 11:30