Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 28187 38633
328187, 638633


Dated 1698. 2-storey, single chamber, square-plan lectern dovecote. Random rubble; ashlar long and short quoins with margins and rat (band) course. Crowstepped gables with ogival-moulded skewputts; raised wallhead with plain coping and ball finials surmounting angles.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central doorway with stone lintel (dated 1698) and surround (rebated for inner and outer doors), replacement timber door and frame; rat-course; inset central square sandstone block (aligned with door) with circular opening. Paired roof lights.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: blind; ashlar long and short quoins, ashlar rat course; crowstepped gable.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: blind with ashlar long and short quoins and rat course.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but wooden nesting boxes removed some time ago.

Monopitched grey slate roof with later paired cast-iron 2-pane Carron lights to roof, original timber pigeon port concealed by slates. Later boarded timber door within timber frame.

Statement of Special Interest

Sited in Kailzie Gardens. This dovecote is part of the surviving landscape features from an earlier house that stood within the lands then known as Hopkailzie. The last Kailzie House was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant ? but this dovecote predates it by over a century. The concept of the dovecote became so popular that in 1617 the right of owning/maintaining a pigeon house was limited by statute to Lairds whose land produced 'ten chalders (tons) of victual' each year. This type of lectern dovecote was the most common in Scotland but whilst most have fallen into disrepair, this retains a good deal of original feature, such as its ball finials (central ball finial now missing), crowsteps and skewputts. It measures 16ft. 6in. by 12ft. 2in and the walls are roughly 2ft. thick. Originally, a timber pigeon-port was set in the centre of the roof. It contained 9 pigeon holes set over 2 rows. Small, square roof lights flanked it to admit light into the structure. Later, when the structure was no longer used to house birds, the pigeon-port was slated over and a pair of cast-iron roof lights were added instead. The single chamber interior once contained nesting boxes made of wood, but these were removed many years ago. Listed as a good example of a late 17th century dovecote. De-scheduled 11-DEC-1998.



W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) showing original house and estate buildings. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing stables marked as "dog kennel". J W Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) pp544-547. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS, PEEBLESSHIRE (circa 1964) pp294-295. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES (1986) pp339-343. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft and Lady Buchan-Hepburn.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KAILZIE, DOVECOTE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/02/2020 23:52