1816 with circa 1840 additions; further later alterations. Original 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with additional 2-storey, single bay extension to E. Harled with black painted stone window surrounds; Harled and painted with (painted) stone margins and canted ashlar sandstone bay windows to ground floor. Early 19th century rubble icehouse.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: original regularly fenestrated 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse to left and centre with later canted window with advanced base course and moulded cornice to ground floor left and entrance now to ground floor right with ashlar margins and bracketed console, timber entrance door with multi-pane fanlight surmounting; regular windows with pained margins to all other bays. To right, slightly advanced 2-storey, single bay, piended extension: canted window with advanced base course and moulded cornice to ground floor and tripartite window with painted stone margins (and very narrow flanking lights) to 1st floor. Random rubble driveway wall adjoining to ground floor left with rough-hewn coping and pair of square ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps.
W ELEVATION: blind gable of main house to right rising into gablehead stack. To centre, near square later 2-storey, 2-bay extension (large window to ground floor left with small slit window to right, pair of medium sized rectangular windows to 1st floor). To left, blind end of single storey block.
N (REAR) & E ELEVIONS: not seen, 2002.
12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to older fenestration; 2, 3 and 4-pane glazing (with very thin astragals) in timber sashes and cases to later bay windows and single storey extension; some replacement glazing to rear. Pitched slate roof with replacement roll-ridging; skewless (slate continue to edges of gablehead); piended roof to 1840 extension. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Harled and painted gablehead stacks with ashlar neck copes and variety of cans (E gablehead stack now roofline due to later extension).
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.
ICEHOUSE: early 19th century (dating with earlier farm): single chamber, barrel-vaulted random whinstone rubble icehouse; round-headed gable framed by single row of vertically set sections of whinstone. Entrance (not original) now in S elevation; further elevations turfed and overgrown.
Statement of Special Interest
Originally this was Cardrona Farmhouse and the former cart shed (earlier steading) lay to west of the farmhouse. This farm lies about a mile away from Cardrona House (to which it was originally tied) on the north side of the B7062 immediately to the west of the new Cardrona Village. The farm was extended and improved in circa 1840 when the new Cardrona House was being built. Previously the farm (that is the original house and 1816 former farm steading) was called 'Standin' Stane' after a large standing stone that is still sited in a field to the west. This stone (a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was erected to mark the spot of an ancient warrior who fell here. During the mid 19th century improvements to the estate, some smaller farms (including Highland Shiel and Kirkburn) ceased to exist and their lands encompassed into the new 'Cardrona Mains' we see today. The farmhouse was originally 2-storey, 3-bay but a new slightly advanced piended bay was added to the E in 1840. At the same time, the door was moved one bay along and given a new bracketed console. The farm's icehouse is adjacent to the main road and dates from the pre-improvement farm. The entrance is found in the south elevation, but this is not original and has been broken through at a later date. It is likely the entrance would have been in the north elevation and would have been filled from the former mill dam which was sited just to the north. Listed in 2002 as a good example of a Borders farmhouse and additions complete with later improvement steading, near original walled garden and earlier icehouse.
Former U-plan steading to rear and walled garden to NE demolished circa 2006 and replaced with new build housing units.
List description updated 2007.
W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 - Edinburgh) showing old Cardrona House and estate. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing site as Cardrona Mains. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227 for general area. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARDRONA MAINS FARMHOUSE AND ICE HOUSE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 18/11/2018 10:42