Rebuilt 1793-1794; additions and repairs 1814. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former manse with later central porch and later 2-storey rear addition; courtyard range of outbuildings (including former stables and offices) to SW of house. Harled and painted (original construction material hidden) with stone window and door dressings.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay elevation with central harled enclosed porch, pitched roof with overhanging eaves and plain timber barge boarding, timber cross brace and decorative brackets to front angles, timber panelled entrance door leading to semi-glazed inner hall door; returns blind. Bipartites to left bay.
NW ELEVATION: to right, gabled end of main house with windows to 1st floor left and centre; later lean-to porch with door and window concealing left bay of original ground floor and partial ground floor of later 2-storey, 2-bay kitchen extension to left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: main house to centre and left dominated by 2-storey canted window to left (bipartite main windows with stone mullions, single lights to returning cants), staircase window to 1st floor centre; advanced 2-storey, blind gabled-end of "kitchen extension" to right (windows to left return).
SE ELEVATION: gabled end of main house rising into gablehead stack.
Mostly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows with some plate glass glazing in rear bay window; lesser pane glazing to smaller rear windows. Formerly three 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights to attic of main elevation replaced by 3 single pane modern Velux windows (central window smaller with larger windows to flanks). Open verge (skewless) pitched slate roof with lead flashing to main house; piended roof to range. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Tall harled gablehead stacks with plain later cans (some octagonal cans remain) and plain stone neck copes, small square wallhead stack to NE join of house and later extension.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2002 but interesting bedroom fire surround known to be in situ (timber and gesso with linden or lemon tree to centre panel, churches flanking and tulips surmounting the jambs.
OUTBUILDINGS (INCLUDING FORMER OFFICES AND STABLE): 1?-storey, rectangular-plan former stable range with gabled ends and to NE: doorway to right, rectangular-headed timber doored cart entrance to centre and small window to left with timber- boarded door to piend-roofed hayloft entrance breaking eaves. Single storey, rectangular-plan range to NW running parallel with larger range.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of a B-Group with Traquair Parish Church. This was formerly the manse for the church but is now a private house named Kirkbride. The adjacent church was built to replace an older church dedicated to St Bryde, after whom this parish was originally known ? Kirkbryde. The present parish, Traquair, was formed by adding Kirkbryde to a portion of the suppressed parish of Kailzie in 1674. William Hislop (mason) and John Paterson (wright) built the original manse on this site in 1694. Also to be found in the front garden is a block of stone (believed to be a "knocking stane") with a large hollow in it and inscribed with the initials WH (possibly for William Hislop the builder?), ID and the date 1694. The 1st Statistical Account describes how the King (in right of the Archbishop of Glasgow) is the patron of the old parish of St Bryde and the Earl of Traquair was patron of the suppressed parish of Kailzie, but as the family was Catholic, they could claim no right in the settlement of Traquair. At the time, the family had been "for several years, on the Continent". The manse was rebuilt in 1794 and enlarged circa 1814 to the form we see today; later the bay window was added to the rear. It is noted that the 1794 rebuild took place after the Heritors "very liberally contributed for rebuilding the manse for the present incumbent, which is not as yet finished, and they are likewise to rebuild part of the offices, which when completed, will render the minister's accommodation very comfortable". The money for this improvement was collected in Spring 1790. The different stages of building and additions are hidden beneath the harling and give a uniform appearance. Adjoining the house to the rear is a later kitchen extension, a bowed window and a walled garden of local whinstone. The cart shed, stable and byre range remains fairly intact, as is the single storey office block. The value of living and of the glebe was 78l. Sterling and the glebe contained 11 Scots acres. The interior of the house was refurbished in the mid-19th century (and latterly when the house was sold). The building ceased being a manse toward the end of the 20th century when the Traquair Church joined Walkerburn and Innerleithen Churches to share a minister. The manses at Walkerburn and Traquair were then sold as private residential houses. Listed as a good example of a late 18th century former manse with associated buildings showing its development and alteration as buildings styles and the role of the minister changed.
J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) and J Thomson, PEEBLES-SHIRE (1821, published in ATLAS OF SCOTLAND, 1832) showing manse in relation to church. William Chambers, HISTORY OF PEEBLESHIRE (1864) p382. J Sinclair, STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (MDCCXCIV) p375. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKBRIDE HOUSE (FORMERLY TRAQUAIR MANSE) AND OUTBUILDINGS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/01/2019 08:02