Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 34053 36626
334053, 636626


Opened 1864. 5-span, iron plate-girder former railway bridge crossing River Tweed; riveted construction with brick in-fill under spans. Coursed rusticated sandstone ashlar cutwater piers.

N & S ELEVATIONS: 5 segmental-headed iron spans (girders supporting beneath) with riveted overhanging edge copes resting on tall rectangular cutwater piers (4); supported on riverbank by altered ashlar supports each with later path and embankment supporting. Track and ballast removed and modern footpath now laid; evidence of service pipes being carried across river to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Very early example of a plate-girder construction bridge in iron and one of a pair with Horsburgh Viaduct (listed separately in Innerleithen parish). The North British Railway opened, in 1845, the Edinburgh to Hawick Railway. The line in the Peebles area, at this time, was contentious; the NBR only built on the north bank from the eastern areas up to Peebles, whilst the Caledonian Railway came across from the western approaches on the south bank. As an important resort town, the provision of a station was necessary for local economy as well as the two train companies. Local industry also relied on a rail link for the movement of their goods. In June 1866; the line reached Galashiels from Innerleithen and Peebles. This was a continuation of a railway opened by Peebles Railway Company from Eskbank (on the Edinburgh to Hawick line) to Peebles on 4th July 1855. With its extension, the Peebles line formed a loop between Eskbank and Gala, embracing Hawthornden, Roslin, Penicuik and Leadburn as well as Peebles, Cardrona and Innerleithen. This new viaduct (Haughhead) and railway station (Innerleithen) were built and opened on the 10th October 1864. The viaduct linked Innerleithen Station on the north side of the River Tweed to the south bank's section of the railway (where as Horsburgh Viaduct is sited near to south bank Cardrona Station and links it with the north bank section of railway). Innerleithen Station was closed on the 5th February 1962 on the advice of the British Transport Commission. The former station (which retains its platform and verandah) is now a private residence. The viaduct no longer carries trains, but foot passengers, cyclists and horses; it also provides a link to the south of the River Tweed. The old railway line is still visible to the S of the caravan park and the viaduct is part of the riverside walk. Listed as a good example of an iron plate-girder railway viaduct.



2nd Edition, ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1897) showing viaduct and station. John Thomas, REGIONAL HISTORY OF RAILWAYS IN GREAT BRITAIN, Vol VI ? SCOTLAND (1971) p97-99. Gordon Biddle and OS Nock, THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF GREAT BRITAIN (1983) p123. A J Mullay, RAILS ACROSS THE BORDER (1990) pp64-5. Alan Spence, DISCOVERING THE BORDERS 2 (1994) p137. For more information on Peebles Railway, see

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HAUGHHEAD, VIADUCT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 18:04