1778 by John Haldane and Co to plan by John Winter; interior recast 1821; refurbished by WH Playfair, 1840; remodelled internally 1897 and 1914 when vestry was added; Traquair burial aisle of unknown date. Rectangular-plan church with projecting entrance to E and forestair to former gallery; lower burial aisle adjoining to N (forming T-plan) with vestry in re-entrant angle to W; bellcote with weathervane. Harled with sandstone margins. Churchyard with later wall to W containing many tombs and stones of varying date.
S (ROAD) ELEVATION: tall paired windows to centre with chamfered arrises and projecting imposts and keystones (left dated 1778); to right, bipartite window with stone mullion (probably lit internal stair in 19th century); to left, similar arch-topped window (circa 1914 and without keystone) with inset to left (blind harled door below) and right.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central projecting entrance porch with stone surround and timber door with adjoined dogleg forestair to right (with plain wrought-iron handrail and balusters) leading to aligned entrance at gallery level: 2-leaf timber boarded door with rectangular fanlight with margin lights and stone surround, small square windows with stone margins flanking.
N ELEVATION: T-plan elevation with single storey, gable ended Traquair (or Stuart) burial aisle projecting to centre with small (barred) arched window to gablehead; aedicular monument to Lady Louisa Stuart (1875, in remembrance of her death aged 100) below with frieze inscribed WITHIN THIS AISLE LIE THE MORTAL REMAINS, OF THE NOBLE AND ANCIENT HOUSE OF STUART, EARLS OF TRAQUAIR, REQUIESCANT IN PACE, stone cross at gablehead; entrance door with stone margins to the left return with inset memorial tableau to left; piended single storey vestry in right re-entrant angle with door and window facing W. Small window (late 18th century) in left of main body of church (similar one to right now blind and partially concealed by vestry).
W ELEVATION: gable end with pair of circa 1899 tall arch-topped windows with right hung arched boarded timber exterior shutters and projecting sills; platformed gablehead supporting simple square open bellcote of ashlar construction with ogee roof and surmounted by weathervane.
Arch-topped, multi-paned glazing to main windows with paired 4 lying pane casement windows to gallery (and E of S elevation); 6-pane glazing in timber window to vestry (2-pane upper sash, 4-pane lower sash). Pitched slate roof with projecting verges and plain timber barge boarding, lead roll ridging and lead flashing and valleys; squared timber louvred ventilator with cross surmounting to gallery roofline. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Small harled wallhead stack to NE of gallery with plain can.
INTERIOR: fairly plain with high coved ceiling and former gallery to E end supported on cast-iron pillars (in-filled in 1986 to provide a meeting room accessed from outside stair). Tongue and groove dado panelling and in sloped sills of windows; timber pews flanking central aisle; 1914 carved timber pulpit, altar and font (later organ). Many memorial tablets dedicated to the Tennant family (of Glen House) including on W wall: alto-rilievo angel figure by John Steell (1877-8) commemorating Janet Tennant (1850-66) to left; marble plaque to centre dedicated to Emma, Lady Tennant (died 1895) and placed by Sir Charles Tennant "in the church where she worshipped; the interior of which he restored SEPTEMBER 1897"; an elaborate memorial (executed in white, black and yellow marble) commemorating Edward Wyndam Tennant (by Allen G Wyon, 1920). S wall contains a marble classical table for Francis Scott (tenant of Howford who died in 1869) and a bronze plaque for Douglas Constable Oliphant (a Grenadier guard killed in 1916) by G. Maile & Son, London. Fairly plain vestry.
CURCHYARD: varied collection of 17th-19th century graves including 1693 table tomb with Latin hexameter verse for Margret Borovman (sic.) and James Bal/ichtone of Priesthom(e) died 1700; a 1691 arch-topped headstone for David Bell (tailor) with emblems of mortality, scissors and a flat iron carved on it; 1736 gravestone with a spade and rake crossed under a heart for Andrew Hay, gardener at Traquair House. Many small shoulder-topped headstones and some obelisks also survive. Large Tennant family burial plot to N of NE wall containing small crosses and arched classical grave stone to Edward Priaulx Tennant, 1st Baron Glenconner. Boundary wall of whinstone and later ashlar sections.
W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741) showing former church. M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775). J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) showing Kirk and former manse. J Sinclair, STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (MDCCXCIV) p375. J Thomson, PEEBLES-SHIRE (1821, published in ATLAS OF SCOTLAND, 1832) showing manse in relation to church. William Chambers, HISTORY OF PEEBLESHIRE (1864) p382. G Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) p268. RCAHMS, PEEBLESSHIRE INVENTORY 486, plate 30b. C Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TRAQUAIR PARISH CHURCH INCLUDING CHURCHYARD
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/11/2018 20:07