Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SLAMANNAN PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING SESSION HOUSE, CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB15311

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/10/1972
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Parish
Slamannan
NGR
NS 85613 73391
Coordinates
285613, 673391

Description

1810. Tall, rectangular-plan, symmetrical gabled church. Random rubble; raised margins. Steps lead to panelled timber entrance door to W elevation with fanlight above; single window above and birdcage bellcote to gable apex with 1722 bell. Rectangular window openings to all elevations; pair of larger window openings to centre S elevation. Bronze sundial and carved inscription to S elevation (see Notes).

Predominantly 6-over 6-timber sash and case windows; some coloured glass. Grey slate; raised skews. Wallhead stack.

SESSION HOUSE: circa 1850. Square-plan, rubble, piended-roof session house. Timber entrance door. Plate-glass timber sash and case window.

CHURCHYARD: surrounds the church and with further area to E and later area to NE. Variety of gravestones, some with sculpted decoration.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble wall surrounding churchyard to N, S, E and W with pair of tall pyramidal-capped gatepiers: that to left truncated.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of Worship in use as such.

This is a fine example of a little externally altered early 19th century parish church with associated session house, situated within its churchyard. Externally, the church is gabled and has regular, rectangular windows.

The bellcote on the west gable houses a bell from the Meikle and Maxwell foundry in Edinburgh. It was recast from an earlier bell in 1722. The sundial to the south elevation is possibly of 19th century date. The Buildings of Scotland (2002) notes that the inscription below this is damaged, but reads "I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD".

List description updated and statutory address amended, 2013

References

Bibliography

John Thomson's Map of Scotland, (1832). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1864-5. J Gifford and F A Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Stirling and Central Scotland, (2002), p656. Other information from www.scottishchurches.org.uk (accessed 17-10-12).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SLAMANNAN PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING SESSION HOUSE, CHURCHYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 12:07