Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DRYBURGH ABBEY HOUSE INCLUDING SUNDIALLB15115

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Mertoun
NGR
NT 59265 31589
Coordinates
359265, 631589

Description

18th century core, with additions by John Smith, 1839; rebuilt after fire by Henry Francis Kerr, 1892-94. 2-storey with basement and attic, 5-bay symmetrical principal (N) elevation with central entrance and later 3-bay gabled section to rear with bowed and canted bays. Wide steps to central entrance with Ionic columns, wallhead ballustrading to front and bowed and canted bays; crenellated wallhead to side; corner bartizans and tripartite windows to W bay. Coursed ashlar.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Corniced rectangular ridge and gable stacks with plain cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Henry Francis Kerr (1855-1946) carried out work on the building after a fire, which involved refitting the interior and adding decorative embellishments to the exterior.

A tower house belonging to the Mertoun Estate had been on the site since 1572, this was demolished in 1784 by David Erskine 11th Earl of Buchan who then extended and repaired the remaining parts. The 1784 structure was largely destroyed by fire in 1892 at which point the current house was built for Mr Oswald Erskine by Kerr.

It is believed the rectangular pitched roof entrance block to the N may date from before 1784 and have originally been the rear elevation; the S front thought to date from 1784 covering over the former S entrance. The two storey octagonal bay and bow to the W elevation were added by John Smith in 1839 for Lady Buchan.

Kerr's work of 1892 in Scottish Rennaisance style involved the addition of the corner bartizans, wall-head balustrade, new pedimented entrance and remodelling the interior.

Dryburgh Abbey House is an amalgamation of building stages over the centuries as is clearly demonstrated in its eclectic building styles.

The sundial is unusual and a curiosity as it is about 5 feet tall and is situated on a small knoll, which makes the dial hard to read even from the top of the knoll. It's inscriptions are, on the N face, 'I make the time' and the letters DOM; on the E face: 'A shadow too art thou'; on the S face: 'I am a shade'; and on the W face 'Save gossip dost thou so'.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar, Richard Fawcett, Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006) p224. Charles Strang, Borders and Berwick, (1991) p171. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 15 March 2007].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DRYBURGH ABBEY HOUSE INCLUDING SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/12/2019 02:33