Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ARDROSS CASTLE, TERRACES AND GATE PIERSLB15031

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Rosskeen
NGR
NH 61136 74118
Coordinates
261136, 874118

Description

Alexander Ross, 1880-81, incorporating earlier house. Large

Scottish Baronial mansion; mainly 2 storeys and attic, with

5-storey tower at east with entrance at base; gabled and

turretted building, all sugged ashlar with finely tooled and

polished ashlar dressings. Imposing east approach, 5-storey

tower with angle bartizans and cap-house, 1st floor oriel and

entrance in base masked by large crenellated porte cochere.

Varied gable frontage to left with slender drum towers flanking

gable with 2-storey canted bay window; further drum stair

tower with square corbelled cap-house. Further gabled wing

with oriel window much decorated with cable moulding. Varied

and gabled south front with canted bay window rising 2 storeys

with richly carved cresting; long circular and square angle

bartizans; projecting gabled and finialled porch with

round-headed entrance. Rear service court entered through

round-headed Crenellated archway. Mullioned windows; mainly

2-pane glazing; corbelled detailing; decorative gablets to

dormer windows; crow-stepped gables; corniced end and ridge

stacks; slate roofs. Terraces; terraces to south and east with decorative stone balustrades; castellated gazebo at SE angle.

Formal garden (Edward Whyte, 1909-10) at east, approached by

further decorative stone balustrades and pair urns on end

piers.

Gate piers; (map ref.NH617743); 2 pairs octagonal gate piers;

tooled ashlar; moulded copes; inner pair flanking carriage gates

support pair heraldic beasts; outer piers with shallow pyramidal

caps; matching carriage and pedestrian cast-iron spearhead

gates; low flanking coped rubble quadrants with crenellated

terminal piers and spearhead railings.

Statement of Special Interest

By 1838 Ardross Castle belonged to Duke of Sutherland; sold to

Sir A Matheson, 1846. Purchased by Mr Dyson Perrins in later

19th century. Alterations and additions of nearly 30 rooms in

1880 cost nearly $7,000.

Up-graded B to A October 1990.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, p.270. INVERNESS ADVERTISER,

Nov 1880. Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, i, (1882)

p.67. Further information by courtesy The Buildings of Scotland

Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDROSS CASTLE, TERRACES AND GATE PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 15:57